Thread poster: Tomasz Poplawski
Tomasz Poplawski
Tomasz Poplawski  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:19
Member (2007)
English to Polish
+ ...
Apr 13, 2009

I use the export function after analyzing the file(s) all the time, in order to extract what needs to be done, because I record myself instead of typing. It has worked just fine for many years but recently the export file, regardless of the number of segments in it, has grown large. It shows approx. 1.9MB but the real problem is that it takes a couple of minutes to open on my quite fast desktop. On my laptop, it can take 10 minutes or more.
I suspect all the font, etc. information at the
... See more
I use the export function after analyzing the file(s) all the time, in order to extract what needs to be done, because I record myself instead of typing. It has worked just fine for many years but recently the export file, regardless of the number of segments in it, has grown large. It shows approx. 1.9MB but the real problem is that it takes a couple of minutes to open on my quite fast desktop. On my laptop, it can take 10 minutes or more.
I suspect all the font, etc. information at the beginning of the file is the real culprit - but I don't know how to get rid/minimize them. I tried to export segments and import them to a newly created TM, and it did not help.
Any ideas?

[Edited at 2009-04-13 18:09 GMT]
Collapse

Maciek Drobka
Maciek Drobka  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 00:19
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
Clean up... Apr 14, 2009

Hi Tomasz,

I asked a friend who I consider a Trados expert. He says he always cleans up the Unknown Segments file before beginning translation. This may sound odd, but he says this is what Trados recommends, though not openly. And it works.

Cleaning up the file before beginning translation apparently sorts out some RTF-related problems.

Also, the friend I asked says that you may want to deselect an option that strips/removes Trados styles because Trados sty
... See more
Hi Tomasz,

I asked a friend who I consider a Trados expert. He says he always cleans up the Unknown Segments file before beginning translation. This may sound odd, but he says this is what Trados recommends, though not openly. And it works.

Cleaning up the file before beginning translation apparently sorts out some RTF-related problems.

Also, the friend I asked says that you may want to deselect an option that strips/removes Trados styles because Trados styles will be needed later.

Hope this helps.

Maciek
Collapse

Tomasz Poplawski
Member (2007)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It made the file smaller - but not faster to open Apr 14, 2009

Thanks, Maciek,
I cleaned the Export Unknown Segment file, and indeed, it shrunk by half. But it took the same amount of time, if not longer, to open. I think I have to do something with the TM files - that's where all the garbage comes from into the resulting rtf; but I am not sure how best to do it.
Tomasz

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 00:19
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
You have a point here ... Apr 14, 2009

Tomasz Poplawski wrote:
I suspect all the font, etc. information at the beginning of the file is the real culprit - but I don't know how to get rid/minimize them. I tried to export segments and import them to a newly created TM, and it did not help.
Any ideas?

I concurr that it's that history of fonts and econding sets that's the main reason for bloat here. Having Wingdings in Kisvahili included may not hurt, but it is definitely more than I have bargained for. A possible way out of it: export everything and then recreate the TM? Hopefully TM will just keep what's necessary, i.e. hopefully forget a lot of the outdated BS.

Regards

Vito

Tomasz Poplawski
Member (2007)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Got it! Nov 12, 2009

It came to a point where opening 'an export unknown segments' file waa taking 15 minutes on a very fast machine.
When I saved it as a txt file, it turned out that style sheets took 8400 pages of the document.
I solved the problem completely by 1. exporting the memory to the .tmx format, 2. importing it to a newly created SDLX memory, 3. exporting it back to .tmx, and 4. importing it to a new Trados memory. It sounds like torture but took 10 minutes, and I have normal-sized export fi
... See more
It came to a point where opening 'an export unknown segments' file waa taking 15 minutes on a very fast machine.
When I saved it as a txt file, it turned out that style sheets took 8400 pages of the document.
I solved the problem completely by 1. exporting the memory to the .tmx format, 2. importing it to a newly created SDLX memory, 3. exporting it back to .tmx, and 4. importing it to a new Trados memory. It sounds like torture but took 10 minutes, and I have normal-sized export files that don't crush my computer again.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Export Unknown Segments" file has grown too large

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »