Eloïse Notet  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 03:13
Member (2005)
German to French
+ ...
Apr 20, 2009

Hello,

A client just sent me several .mif files to be translated in tag editor. I thougt I can open them directly in tag editor, but it seems that it's not possible.
How should I proceed to open them or convert them for a use in Tag editor?

Or should they be converted in another format by my client?

Thanks in advance for your quick reply.

Kinds regards,

Eloïse

Direct link Reply with quote

Hidetoshi kudo
Australia
Local time: 11:13
Member (2007)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Use S-Tagger for FrameMaker Apr 20, 2009

Hi,

If you have Trados 2007 freelance, find S-Tagger for FrameMaker, which should be in Filters folder under Trados in Program files. S-Tagger for FrameMaker can convert MIF into TTX.

Cheers,
Hidetoshi

France
Member (2005)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Hidetoshi Apr 20, 2009

I read something about S-Tagger, but do not know how it can convert my files.
Could you tell me more abour that?
Thanks in advance for your help!!

Eloïse

Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
Swedish
+ ...
MIF > RTF Apr 20, 2009

Hi Enotet,

Just like Hidetoshi explained, you cannot handle MIF files in TagEditor, you'll need RTF files. When using the S-Tagger for FrameMaker, you will automatically get RTF files. However, be careful when converting, because you will receive quite a few new files which are necessary only for TagEditor. We often use this directory structure:

MIF_source
RTF_source
MIF_target
RTF_target

If have FrameMaker installed, you could of course also have a directory called FM_source and one called FM_target, as you then could open the FM with FrameMaker, then save as MIF into the appropriate directory.

When receiving MIF files from a client, put them into MIF_source. Open S-Tagger, set up the language pair and decide the two directories where RTF source and RTF target files should be placed. In the RTF source you will get plenty of .org files, but more important, the RTF target directory will contain one "ancillary file" in addition to the RTF files. You will need to translate all the RTF files in the RTF target directory, and also the ancillary. Each MIF file will give you one RTF file which you can translate in TagEditor.

So, if you get 10 MIF files, the RTF target directory should contain 11 RTF (10 for the MIF + 1 ancillary). These are the files you need for the TagEditor. When working with TagEditor, saving a bilingual file, you will get rtf.ttx files. When you have finished, you simply save the translation as "Target only". The system will ask you if you really want to overwrite the original RTF in the RTF target, simply confirm.

Close TagEditor, open S-Tagger again, check up the paths for target and source files. Choose "Verify S-Tags", select _all_ translated files _including_ the ancillary. The choose "Convert STF", select _all_ translated files _without_ the ancillary. If everything worked fine, you should see "Done" at the bottom.

Last action is to move the MIF files from RTF target directory to MIF target.

HTH
Erik

[Edited at 2009-04-20 15:16 GMT]

France
Member (2005)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many Thanks Erik !! Apr 20, 2009

The conversion is ok.
Thanks for your detailed instructions! It helped a lot

I wish you a good evening

Eloïse

sabina moscatelli  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2004)
German to Italian
+ ...
Get an error message Apr 21, 2009

Dear All

I am also trying to convert a MIF file with Trados 8.0 S-Tagger for Frame Maker, but I get the following error message:
File Error 3060. Share.exe was not loaded or a shared region was locked.

What shall I do now?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

opening .mif files in tag editor

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search