ttx will not clean
Thread poster: Vauwe
Vauwe
Local time: 12:15
English to German
+ ...
Apr 21, 2009

I've seen some of you also experienced this error, but mostly with xls files. And it seems each of you has found another go around to fix the problem. I have this problem also with docx files. I get the message "Unable to find original file..." although source and ttx are in the same folder with the same name. I wonder what may be the basic reason for this error. Is it some incompatibility of Word and Trados versions?

Thank you

Direct link Reply with quote

Trinh Do  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2007)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Problem with cleaning Apr 21, 2009

Have you made sure that the extension of the Word file matches with .docx.ttx? Otherwise, you get this message. If the uncleaned file is .doc.ttx, then the Word file should be .doc (97-2003 document).
There are also problems if you have comments or tracked changes in the Word file.
Good luck.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Did you save the ttx with a different name? Apr 21, 2009

For example if your doc file has the name WordFileGerman.docx, then your ttx MUST have the name WordFileGerman.docx.ttx, otherwise youźll get the error you have now.
Should that be the case and there is simply a mismatch between doc and ttx name, rename the ttx so, that its name matches exactly the name of your Word file.
That will help.

Best regards
Jerzy

Vauwe
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No mismatch Apr 21, 2009

The original docx contains some embedded gifs and weblinks, yes. But that should not be the reason for not finding the original file.

I know the file names have to match. That's what the error message and the help say.
And I matched the file names accordingly, anyhow I get the message.
Is it simply renaming a wrong file name or do you rename the file and run the TM once again over the renamed file? And does the TM has also to be in the same folder (I don't think so)
I experienced this error the last days with several file types and thought it is maybe a matter of version conflicts

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Original file location Apr 21, 2009

Hi Vauwe,
this error usually occurs if you move the TTX and/or the original file(s) between different folders/machines. The error says, that TagEditor is trying to locate the original file it needs to clean up the TTX, but cannot find it. The steps to take usually are:

1) Locate the original DOCX file and copy the file path into the clipboard
2) Open your TTX with the Windows Notepad and locate the tag SourceDocumentPath="" and replace the path in the inverted commas with the path you have copied into the clipboard. Also, check the filename.
3) Save the TTX (CTRL+S)
4) Open the TTX with TagEditor and select File > Save target as...

The TTX should clean fine now.

Vauwe
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Stanislav Apr 21, 2009

I will try these steps.
So the 'error' is on my side. I move the files too much.
Better move them at the end of all processes

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Watch out when using Notepad!... Apr 22, 2009

Stanislav wrote:... Open your TTX with the Windows Notepad ...

You may accidentally convert UTF8 input into an ANSI (i.e. 8bit) output. I prefer (more and more) notepad2 for this kind of exercises.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ttx will not clean

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search