Multiterm crashes when at "reorganisation" stage of importing terms
Thread poster: xxxSerena Warlu
xxxSerena Warlu  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:49
French to English
Apr 25, 2009

I have a new version of a very big glossary (50700 terms) provided by an agency. Multiterm crashes when it gets to the "reorganisation stage" of the "import entries" wizard. I can connect it to Translator's workbench term recognition function but it only finds a very limited number of words, or to put it the other way around, it misses a lot of words that are in the glossary.

I have tried the "Reorganise Termbase" function in Multiterm but this crashes immediately.

Any suggestions?

Serena


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 01:49
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
suggestions Apr 25, 2009

Serena Warluzel wrote:

I have a new version of a very big glossary (50700 terms) provided by an agency. Multiterm crashes when it gets to the "reorganisation stage" of the "import entries" wizard. I can connect it to Translator's workbench term recognition function but it only finds a very limited number of words, or to put it the other way around, it misses a lot of words that are in the glossary.

I have tried the "Reorganise Termbase" function in Multiterm but this crashes immediately.

Any suggestions?

Serena

I assume, you can have a look at the contents to be input some other way, like excel, Notepad etc (depends of course on the format of the file).

Check the log file of the import - are the all the entries logged or does it stop somewhere before the expected end?

Do the entries contain strange signs - first of all nonprintables, like page eject, tab etc (at the wrong place or places of course)?

Is the input supposed to be in Unicode - opening it with notepad (if it is a text file) and closing again (without telling, it is UTF8) may cause it to turn into illegible ANSI 8bit file.

Sort the input by source or target words and import again - into a fresh new TM!. By checking what's missing you may be able to locate where the problem in the sorted input is.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
FarkasAndras
Local time: 01:49
English to Hungarian
+ ...
happened to me too Apr 26, 2009

I was importing 80000 terms in 2 steps (due to Excel's 65000 limit). At first it crashed at the second batch and created an imcomplete TB like in your case. Then I started over: created the import files again and imported into a new TB. It seems to have worked, although I haven't tested it very thoroughly yet.

I suggest that you do the same. Ideally, you should use a decent configuration for the import and free up system resources to be on the safe side. Free up a couple of GB of disk space (the TB will take 1GB at least and may need a lot of extra space, I'd guess 2 to 5 GB during the process). Close all running programs and nonessential system services to free up as much memory as you can. Give it a lot of time, I think the last reorganization took 10-15 minutes or so on my 2.2 GHz Core2Duo with 2GB of RAM.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 01:49
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
"Free up a couple of GB of disk space" Apr 26, 2009

FarkasAndras wrote:
Ideally, you should use a decent configuration for the import and free up system resources to be on the safe side. Free up a couple of GB of disk space (the TB will take 1GB at least and may need a lot of extra space, I'd guess 2 to 5 GB during the process)...

++

I remember now to have a similar problem once and it was the disk space (not the memory) that just was not big enough for the Access Jet Engine, doing the job behind the curtains. I emptied the garbage can, deleted the temp files, deinstalled the unnecessary software - and then it went without a problem.

Regards

Vito

[EDIT]even if your term base is on some drive with a lot of space, the bottleneck is the %userdata% subdirectory (or something similar), in other words the drive (usually C:\) where the system resides.

[Edited at 2009-04-26 18:59 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxSerena Warlu  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:49
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I'll try that. Apr 27, 2009

Thank you for your suggestions.

I had to split the excel glossary in two and make two termbases. I was under time pressure because I got the job at 5pm Friday and I had to send it in this morning.

I will definitely try your suggestions though because I work regularly with this client and they are continuously adding to the glossary.

I have the same computer configuration as you, so I will try giving it a spring clean before I try again.

Thanks again.
Serena


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm crashes when at "reorganisation" stage of importing terms

Advanced search







SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search