Emailing a TM
Thread poster: maryrose
maryrose  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:52
English
+ ...
Apr 26, 2009

Good morning all

I must be having a senior moment. It is so long since I have done this that I can't remember how to return a client's TM by email, ie, the actual process of attaching it as a .txt file. I can only get it as a .tmw. Can someone help me out?

Many thanks

Maryrose

Direct link Reply with quote

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:22
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Depends Apr 26, 2009

How are you supposed to return it? You could ship & ship all the individual files for the Workbench TM, or you can make the text file export using the corresponding command under the file menu. But if the client gets an uncleaned file back this shouldn't be necessary.

Lutz Molderings  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:22
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
export Apr 26, 2009

1. Open TM in Workbench (check the "exclusive" checkbox at the bottom)
2. Click on File -> Export

Hope that helps.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 14:22
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
export it ... Apr 26, 2009

maryrose wrote:

Good morning all

I must be having a senior moment. It is so long since I have done this that I can't remember how to return a client's TM by email, ie, the actual process of attaching it as a .txt file. I can only get it as a .tmw. Can someone help me out?

Many thanks

Maryrose

... either as a TXT or TMX. The client can then import it.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:22
English to French
+ ...
A tip Apr 27, 2009

If you export your TM as a text file, make sure you zip it up before sending it. Some e-mail clients and servers have a nasty tendency to garble some of the text contained in the text file. This often results in a working TM which contains weird characters.

[Edited at 2009-04-27 01:32 GMT]

English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
exporting ... Apr 27, 2009

Lutz Molderings (MSc, BSc) wrote:

1. Open TM in Workbench (check the "exclusive" checkbox at the bottom)
2. Click on File -> Export

Hope that helps.

Thanks Lutz. The problem is that my expertise in this program is subsistence level only, so having gone File, Export, I couldn't work out what to do in that window.

I'm thinking of taking up Kevin's suggestion and taking a copy of the .BAK file and sending the translation back that way, not cleaned up.

Thanks to everyone for your help, sorry it fell on such stony ground!

Maryrose

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:22
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Typical procedure Apr 27, 2009

maryrose wrote:
I'm thinking of taking up Kevin's suggestion and taking a copy of the .BAK file and sending the translation back that way, not cleaned up.

That is actually the typical procedure agencies and others follow for getting the TM material back from translators. Many like to review the uncleaned file before cleaning it and possibly trashing the translation memory. The agencies I've known who have insisted on getting the actual Workbench TM files back have tended to be those who are most technically clueless, though there are a few cases where I can understand why this might be desirable.

Sometimes, however - particularly with TTX files - there may be problems cleaning a document, so the desire for getting the material back in another form is very understandable. But in that case the TMX or text export option is more sensible than sending the whole database, though in the case of the text file you may want to make sure that the export is being made for the right version of Trados. (I don't know how the defaults are handled.) As far as what to do once you see the dialog that follows the File > Export... menu selection, you could RTFM and learn to filter by date, etc. or you could just take the path of least resistance and click OK. Then you get a little Save dialog similar to other programs where you name the export file and choose its file type. Not all that painful, really.

English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No, not all that painful. Apr 27, 2009

As far as what to do once you see the dialog that follows the File > Export... menu selection, you could RTFM and learn to filter by date, etc. or you could just take the path of least resistance and click OK. Then you get a little Save dialog similar to other programs where you name the export file and choose its file type. Not all that painful, really.

No, not that painful, and I know about exporting within Trados, it was just how to get it from there to an email that was flummoxing me. I am actually a great one for RTFM. Thanks for your comprehensive response, Kevin.

Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 15:22
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Don't forget to ZIP it Apr 27, 2009

TMs are enormous...

English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TMs are enormous Apr 27, 2009

Sergei Leshchinsky wrote:

TMs are enormous...

You're right, they are. Thanks, Sergei.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Emailing a TM

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search