Aditi Kane
Aditi Kane  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:18
Japanese to English
+ ...
Apr 27, 2009

Hello,

I work as a Japanese to English translator.

I came across SDL trados 2009 information on the proz.com site.
I have never used SDL trados before.

Has anybody used SDL trados 2009 or previous versions of it?
Is it useful tool for translation?
Is it really worth buying for personal use?

Please let me know.

thanks,
Aditi Kane

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 19:18
German to English
+ ...
Trados Studio 2009 Apr 27, 2009

I've been a Trados user as well as a user of other tools for about 9 years now. The version in question here is not yet released; it is still in beta testing, and I looked at the beta version for a while. If you buy now, you'll actually get Trados 2007, and when the new version is released you'll get a free upgrade. However, the prices are hugely increased compared to previous versions, and I simply do not see the value for the money any more.

Trados will finally adopt an int
... See more
I've been a Trados user as well as a user of other tools for about 9 years now. The version in question here is not yet released; it is still in beta testing, and I looked at the beta version for a while. If you buy now, you'll actually get Trados 2007, and when the new version is released you'll get a free upgrade. However, the prices are hugely increased compared to previous versions, and I simply do not see the value for the money any more.

Trados will finally adopt an interface for translation which is similar to its major competitors, as well as its "sister" product SDLX. As far as the interface is concerned, it would probably be more accurate to call the package SDLX 2009, but the folks in Marketing made a different choice for reasons that are probably obvious.

For the price of the new Trados version I saw quoted on the Translationzone site, I could buy about three Déjà Vu Pro licenses or a Déjà Vu Workgroup license (with change left over) or a bunch of MemoQ licenses or take other options that will give me better value and probably leave enough money in my pocket to take a nice little vacation. Technically, I like what I see in the new version, but I'm not blown away by it - in most cases, others got there first and do it as well or better at a much better price and with better support.
Collapse

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 20:18
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
So what is the 2009 Studio all about? Apr 27, 2009

I mean, is it just a new interface for processing ttx files? Or will their "native" format be changed?

If I have 2009 and an agency sends me ttx files made within 2007, is SDL Trados people's theory I would be able to work on them, send them back and the agency will be able to use them?

Regarding the value-for-money issue for SDL Trados, you can say that again, but the market does not seem to listen anyway....
See more
I mean, is it just a new interface for processing ttx files? Or will their "native" format be changed?

If I have 2009 and an agency sends me ttx files made within 2007, is SDL Trados people's theory I would be able to work on them, send them back and the agency will be able to use them?

Regarding the value-for-money issue for SDL Trados, you can say that again, but the market does not seem to listen anyway.

Antonin
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Replies Apr 27, 2009

It's a completely new interface with a number of new functions and features. The native format has changed to document XLIFF.

TTX files will be supported. You will have to import, translate and export them, just like you may be used to doing so in Transit.

Regarding the value-for-money issue for SDL Trados, you can say that again, but the market does not seem to listen anyway.

Personally, I will wait a little for some SDL Studio 09 to share their working experience.

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Farewell, TTX.. Apr 27, 2009

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

You'll have SDL XLIFF.
Please, note, it's SDL XLIFF and not plain XLIFF

In theory, yes.
At least, I was able to proceed the TTX files I tested.

As we say in Poland, "the zillions of flies can't be wrong, eat shit"
Toutes proportions gardées, of course
I.e. it's a decent tool but it's unproportionally expensive.

Cheers
GG

T F F
T F F  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Your opinion, please :) Apr 27, 2009

Kevin Lossner wrote:

Technically, I like what I see in the new version, but I'm not blown away by it - in most cases, others got there first and do it as well or better at a much better price and with better support.

Hi Kevin...I'd like to know your opinion on their "PDF Filter".

Do I really have to think that - thanks to their PDF filter - ALL the pre-processing stage of a PDF translation job will soon be a "Jurassic memory"?

Probably I'm overestimating their promises- or I'm just ignoring that there are other CAT tools able to transform PDFs into something I can directly translate, without the booring OCR & font and image management stages (if this is the case, please tell me their name!)- but I would consider this feature quite interesting...

What is your opinion on this matter?

TAV!
RR

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
No, this will not be the case IMHO Apr 27, 2009

Renato Renno wrote:I'd like to know your opinion on their "PDF Filter".

Do I really have to think that - thanks to their PDF filter - ALL the pre-processing stage of a PDF translation job will soon be a "Jurassic memory"?

Probably I'm overestimating their promises- or I'm just ignoring that there are other CAT tools able to transform PDFs into something I can directly translate, without the booring OCR & font and image management stages (if this is the case, please tell me their name!)- but I would consider this feature quite interesting...

What is your opinion on this matter?

TAV!
RR

I did not see how the filter works already, but I have been told, that it is as all other filters are. And so there will be a lot of limitations. So I wouldn't expect wonder. Just that it will work for some PDFs, but nothing more.

As for all the functionality of Studio: please wait until you have the final release and make your opinion then. At the current stage features of Studio are more promising than stated here. What is quite certain to me - Studio is much easier to use than any other Trados version before.

Yossi Rozenman
Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Multiple Trados instances in a network Apr 27, 2009

Do you know if the limitation of one Trados instance per network will still exist in the new version? (outrageous feature, in my opinion)

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 21:18
English to Turkish
+ ...
SDLX Studio 2009 Apr 27, 2009

Beta testers are not allowed to share confidential information but it seems that SDL has already launched the campaign for the 2009 version.

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

I did not see how the filter works already, but I have been told, that it is as all other filters are. And so there will be a lot of limitations. So I wouldn't expect wonder. Just that it will work for some PDFs, but nothing more.

As for all the functionality of Studio: please wait until you have the final release and make your opinion then. At the current stage features of Studio are more promising than stated here. What is quite certain to me - Studio is much easier to use than any other Trados version before.

I will miss the old Trados. Yes, there were always problems, bugs, incompatibility with the previous versions but it was Trados. Clearly, this new product is not the 2009 version of Trados, it is a modified, developed version of SDLX. You can even call it SDLX Studio 2009 And that is why it is much more easier to use than any other Trados version before.

I don't think that the final release will be much more different than the beta version, only a few bugs will be corrected and the rest will be corrected with the service packs, as usual.

You can use MS Word for DTP work but Word is not a DTP program (like Quark or InDesign). And one may use SDL Trados Studio for translation of simple PDF files, but you will need a real pdf conversion program in many cases.

Grzegorz Gryc
Please, note, it's SDL XLIFF and not plain XLIFF

It is good news for those who hate TagEditor and TTX files but the new XLIFF format will not make our lives easier. We are not talking about the standard xliff format but SDL's xliff format, a proprietary file format. Hope, the developers of my favourite CAT tool (Deja Vu) will create a filter for the SDL's xliff format. I can easily create a filter to translate standard xliff files but need professional support for SDL's proprietary format.

It seems to me that SDL plans to continue selling both programs (SDL Trados 2007 and SDL Trados Studio 2009) for some years. You will have to use the old Trados for some of your clients, and the new one for other clients. But installation of both versions in one computer may result in problems, so two computers will be required.

Actually, the new 2009 version has many good features; there may be some problems, bugs, as there are many different operating systems, supported file formats, but these will be corrected sooner or later. Its weakest part is related to terminology management, the horrible MultiTerm is included in the package and therefore I don't plan to use the 2009 version until a a new, translator-friendly terminology tool is included in the package.

Finally, there will be changes in the CAT market, I will not be surprised if some of my clients switch to Across, MemoQ and Deja Vu X after the release of the new SDLX Studio 2009.

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Multiple Trados instances in a network Apr 27, 2009

Yossi Rozenman wrote:

Do you know if the limitation of one Trados instance per network will still exist in the new version? (outrageous feature, in my opinion)

According to the FAQs, the limitation in the Freelance version still exists.
http://www.translationzone.com/en/products/sdl-trados-freelance/sdl-trados-2009-studio/
(see "What are the differences between the Freelance and Professional version?" under FAQs; unfortunately, the direct link does not work)

Aditi Kane
Aditi Kane  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:18
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados and SDLX Apr 27, 2009

Hello,

Thanks for your all replies.

I am still confused with different terms related to Trados.
I have never used trados before. In fact, I have never used any CAT tool before.

Recently, I have been translating huge number of repetitive sentences and words by myself in my translation work. It take lot of time to translate a huge file with repetitive words.
I want to use a tool which can speed up my translation process.

I want to get
... See more
Hello,

I have never used trados before. In fact, I have never used any CAT tool before.

Recently, I have been translating huge number of repetitive sentences and words by myself in my translation work. It take lot of time to translate a huge file with repetitive words.

I want to get more information about translation tools and trados.

What is trados?
What does it do?
What is the difference between trados and SDLX?
If I want to buy trados, what is the best stable version I could buy?
Are there any other tools similar to Trados which can be as efficient as trados?

Please let me know.

thanks,
Aditi Kane
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 21:18
English to Turkish
+ ...
Trados+SDLX Apr 27, 2009

Aditi Kane wrote:

Hello,

What is trados?
What does it do?
Are there any other tools similar to Trados which can be as efficient as trados?

Please let me know.

thanks,
Aditi Kane

Forget about SDL Trados Studio 2009 for the moment.

SDLX and Trados were different CAT tools. Then, the company (SDL) bought Trados, its competitor and now sells two tools (SDLX and Trados) as a package. The latest version of SDL Trados is 2007 (both SDLX and Trados are included in this package).

Now, about the SDL Trados Studio 2009...

This is a new CAT tool developed by SDL. It is not released yet.

This new program is different from both Trados and SDLX, but its interface looks similar to SDLX.

HTH

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Visit their website Apr 27, 2009

Aditi Kane wrote:

Hello,

What is trados?
What does it do?

Please let me know.

thanks,
Aditi Kane

Hi Aditi, before asking questions that are specific, you should start with the obvious. Please visit www.translationzone.com to learn more about SDL products. Also, you might want to perform some research on CAT tools in general.

José Andrés Rubio
José Andrés Rubio  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
English to Spanish
Will it be compatible with Windows XP? May 5, 2009

I've researched the SDL website for information on the system requirements for this new "upgrade", but there's nothing on it. I've asked the question through their Contact Us link, but haven't received any answer. I've even asked their LIVE representative, but instead of a simple "yes/no" answer, I got a link that to their website, where I can't find anything on software/hardware requirements. Does anyone know if Studio 2009 will be compatible with Windows XP? Thanks!

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Yes - compatible with XP May 5, 2009

Hi José
Does anyone know if Studio 2009 will be compatible with Windows XP? Thanks!

I'm running the beta version on a Sony Vaio with XP Pro SP2.

HTH, Ralf

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Information about SDL trados 2009

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »