Thread poster: Pavel Tsvetkov

Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 12:34
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Apr 28, 2009

I have heard that Internet Explorer 8 does not agree with TRADOS and therefore should not be downloaded and installed... is that true?

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:34
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
It prevents Multiterm 2007 from working Apr 28, 2009

or at least that was my case.
And this was confirmed by SDL Support. However, I asked when still only the Beta 2 of IE 8 was available.
So possibly the final release will work. TBH I'm not willing to play the guinea pig in that case.

BR
Jerzy

Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
As of today... Apr 28, 2009

IE 8 is officially downloadable (final version). Knowing that SDL never fixed the Java incompatibility, I am not an optimist about IE 8icon_frown.gif

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Disabling IE8 automatic setup... Apr 28, 2009

Pavel Tsvetkov wrote:

IE 8 is officially downloadable (final version). Knowing that SDL never fixed the Java incompatibility, I am not an optimist about IE 8icon_frown.gif

Neither me.
For the same reason.

See http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=21687628-5806-4ba6-9e4e-8e224ec6dd8c&displaylang=en and download the toolkit to disable the automatic install if IE8.

Cheers
GG

Zoltán Kulcsár  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
not for me... Apr 29, 2009

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

or at least that was my case.
And this was confirmed by SDL Support. However, I asked when still only the Beta 2 of IE 8 was available.
So possibly the final release will work. TBH I'm not willing to play the guinea pig in that case.

BR
Jerzy

it works flawlessly, no problems whatsoever

Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
To Zoltan... Apr 29, 2009

Are you sure, Zoltan, I'd hate to have to uninstall and reinstall IE and Trados....icon_smile.gif

French to Polish
+ ...
On the secure side... Apr 29, 2009

Pavel Tsvetkov wrote:

Are you sure, Zoltan, I'd hate to have to uninstall and reinstall IE and Trados....icon_smile.gif

The problem is it's no rule at all.
On some machines MT will cease to work, on some (few) machines it will work correctly.
Recently I saw a machine with IE8 with a working MT and I was really surprised.
Probably a newer build behaves in a different way but you can't be sure how the next patched IE8 builds will behave.

If you want to stay on the secure side, block IE8 setup.
Me too, I have no longer force to reinstall...

PS.
The corporate rule is to blockicon_smile.gif

Cheers
GG

Zoltán Kulcsár  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
well... Apr 29, 2009

Pavel Tsvetkov wrote:

... I can't be sure for your computer environment:)

As far as I know, there is no direct connection between IE and Multiterm, MT depends mainly on the Java platform and that does not change with the upgrade of the browser.

Anyway, you may try quite safely the new browser, as before upgrade the OS creates a restore point, so no need to reinstall in the unlikely case of a problem

Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Hm... Apr 29, 2009

I am a sucker for new software, which I am happy to admiticon_smile.gif, but in the case of IE 8, I think I'll have to pass. I seldom use IE anyway, while TRADOS I have to use often (grudgingly)icon_smile.gif

I simply cannot risk to find out the Truth in this occasion.icon_wink.gif Windows System Restore is a hit and miss kind of deal, and I know from experience it cannot be completely trusted.

French to Polish
+ ...
Disk image Apr 29, 2009

Pavel Tsvetkov wrote:

I am a sucker for new software, which I am happy to admiticon_smile.gif, but in the case of IE 8, I think I'll have to pass. I seldom use IE anyway, while TRADOS I have to use often (grudgingly)icon_smile.gif

I simply cannot risk to find out the Truth in this occasion.icon_wink.gif Windows System Restore is a hit and miss kind of deal, and I know from experience it cannot be completely trusted.

Use a disk imaging software instead.
I use Acronis.

Cheers
GG

Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:34
Member (2004)
German to English
Working fine for me May 7, 2009

I have IE 8 and Trados/Multiterm 2007 working without problems.
Gillian

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
MultiTerm depends a lot on Internet Explorer May 7, 2009

Zoltán Kulcsár wrote:
As far as I know, there is no direct connection between IE and Multiterm, MT depends mainly on the Java platform and that does not change with the upgrade of the browser.

I think it depends a lot, when you work with the MultiTerm desktop application, the window that shows the entries is actually a component of Internet Explorer.

The entries are stored in XML in the database. To display the entries, MultiTerm converts them to HTML internally and then the application shows this HTML file using the Internet Explorer component.

That's the reason why MultiTerm 2007 can have problems with Internet Explorer 8. They could never test it with IE8...icon_frown.gif

Daniel

Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Why use IE8 May 8, 2009

Soory jusy felt I had to ask, why use IE8 when Firefox is so much better?

Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Well... May 8, 2009

Certain update sites (Windows update, Creative update, etc.) only work with IE and require that it is present and active. As mentioned above - Trados uses it, etc. So, unfortunately, it is a must have,

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
IE6 May 9, 2009

Pavel Tsvetkov wrote:

Certain update sites (Windows update, Creative update, etc.) only work with IE and require that it is present and active. As mentioned above - Trados uses it, etc. So, unfortunately, it is a must have,

Hi Pavel and all,
I have to agree with Alex. I am a happy Firefox user and certainly not thinking about going back to IE. The tasks Pavel described only require IE6 installed along with WinXP, so no real need to upgrade to IE7, let alone IE8.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

IE 8 - does it agree with TRADOS?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search