Convert terminology from Workbench to Multiterm?
Thread poster: Jonas_Je

Jonas_Je
Local time: 14:18
English to German
+ ...
May 2, 2009

I am regularly using Trados Workbench but never paid much attention to Multiterm until I realized that this software offers some advantages in comparison with my own data base software.

My question to those among you who have been using Multiterm for a long time is: What is the best, fastest and most efficient way to import your terminology in Multiterm? I am specifically talking about the terminology that you create when translating with the help of Trados Workbench in Word. Up to now, I simply used the export function in Trados Workbench, opened the text file in Word and copied the relevant new terms as entries in Excel. Finally, I imported the new entries in Multiterm. That works quite fine and without any problems, but it’s quite laborious to work like that if you have long texts and a lot of new terms.

Is there any way to accelerate the whole process? Does someone have an idea whether it is possible to convert a text file or another format with the terminology stuff exported from Trados Workbench into an Excel file without copying every single term? I unfortunately don’t have a clue.

Thank you in advance for your help!

mariale125
Local time: 07:18
English to Spanish
Do you have the Translator's User Guide? May 3, 2009

You can add terms to the termbase while translating with Word or with TE. In Word you select the word, then select Add Entry from the Multiterm menu. You can add it as a source or target term. I looked at the Transtalor's Workbench User Guide, in chapter 9-15 it is well explained how to add terms to multiterm.

P.S. By the way I use Trados v7. Maybe the chapter changes in other versions. Just open the PDF file and look for something like "Adding a term to Multiterm", "Adding terms to the termbase during translation"

Hope this is what you are looking for.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A trick for whole files May 4, 2009

If you want to import full files to Multiterm, for instance if you want to create a termbase with the localisation of some user interface in preparation for the translation of a manual, you have a simple way of creating an Excel file with the whole Word file:

1. Open your uncleaned Word file (i.e. with Trados tags, the source text etc.)
2. Use Edit/Replace and look for text "<}" and replace it with a tab mark "^t" with style Default Paragraph Font.
3. Unhide the whole text (select the whole text, select Format > Font > Uncheck the Hidden checkbox).
4. Delete all Trados tags, again with Edit/Replace: look for style tw4winMark and replace it with nothing with no style.

(If you have doubts as to how to do the Find/Replaces with styles etc., please feel free to email me via Proz.com).

What you have now is a list containing the source and target texts separated with a tab mark. You can easily copy this whole list to Excel and do the import as you have done in the past.

I hope this is useful!

[Edited at 2009-05-04 07:54 GMT]

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
PlusToyz... or similar... May 4, 2009

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

If you want to import full files to Multiterm, for instance if you want to create a termbase with the localisation of some user interface in preparation for the translation of a manual, you have a simple way of creating an Excel file with the whole Word file:

uote]

You can use PlusToyz, see the Format conversions section.

Cheers
GG

Carlos Sorzano
United States
Local time: 08:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
Excel or Word files into SDL Trados May 5, 2009

Hello
I am a new Trados user (SDL trados freelance) and need some help.

Is there any guideline or way to import previously translated files, such as Excel or word tables with source and target columns, into my translation memories or, perhaps, Multiterm7?

Please, kindly help me with a step by step guide.

thank you very much and have a nice day

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Convert terminology from Workbench to Multiterm?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search