Thread poster: Ana Carneiro

Ana Carneiro  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:08
English to Portuguese
+ ...
May 2, 2009

Hello,
My computer crashed and I lost all my translation memories. Fortunately I had a copy of them, but unfortunately not updated: they are from the end of 2007.
Does anybody know if it is possible to update them, and how? I have the backup files updated (I made a copy of my work). I've been reading the handbook, but it is not clear that I can use the backup files (for one, they don't have the right document extension), with the Import option.
Any help would be appreciated (I tried the company but nobody replies).
I have the freelancer version of 2006, with Windows Vista and Office XP.
Many thanks in advance.
Ana

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 11:08
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
The first off-hand idea ... May 2, 2009

Ana Carneiro wrote:... Fortunately I had a copy of them, but unfortunately not updated: they are from the end of 2007...I have the backup files updated (I made a copy of my work).

At the very least. you can
a) start with 2007 copy of TM
b) use the bilingual output of your orders since a) to pretranslate / update the TM (in the time sequence of orders as they have come up)

It looks like a lot of work, but evenutally it is less than one would think - just takes CPU and your time.

[EDIT]... and that of course applies to TM1, TM2 ... - I dont know, how you have parsed out the orders to different TMs.

[Edited at 2009-05-02 20:28 GMT]

Noe Tessmann  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Rename bak to doc May 2, 2009

Ana Carneiro wrote:
but it is not clear that I can use the backup files (for one, they don't have the right document extension), with the Import option.

Hello,

you have to rename the bak files to doc. One by one or there are some tools for batch renaming. I think also in the Wordfast Plus tools.

Regards

Noe

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:08
English to Dutch
+ ...
Restoring your TM in SDL Trados May 2, 2009

Noe Tessmann wrote:

You have to rename the bak files to doc.

Hi Ana

Noe is right. The best way is to make a copy of all BAK files you can find in a new folder, specifically for this purpose.

Now rename all those BAK files into DOC (if that's what they were. Could be RTF as well).

When you have done that, clean them all up, with the button "Update TM" activated. The workbench will allow you to cleanup many files in a row.

In future backup your TM's regularly. The best systems are automatic, preferably to an online service.

It's incredible, but true: SDL Trados uses a fickle, unreliable database system. TM's can be lost at any time and can not be restored. Regular backup is the only solution.

Good luck!

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Cleanup should work even with files ending with *.bak May 3, 2009

So you will most probably not even need to rename them.
And please, do NOT put any of your files in "My documents". Create a partition on your HDD, call it D: and use that for data. In case of a computer crash your data would be safe.
Think also about a backup solution - an external HDD of 500 GIG capacity will cost you less than 100 EUR! An easy backup solution is already integrated in Windows XP and a description how-to can be found here.

NetLynx  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
Exactly what did crash? May 3, 2009

If your harddisk did not crash, I am pretty sure your data can be read and saved from another computer. Even if your OS crashed, you still can access your data and files.

Good luck
NetLynx

Ana Carneiro  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:08
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! May 4, 2009

Dear all,

Thank you for your help. I renamed the backup files - not all of them, yet - and apparently it works fine.
My hard disk crashed, that was the problem. I had a copy of my work on an external drive - I thought that the memories were being saved to a special folder, but they weren't. I also made a safety copy of everything with the tool provided by Vista. This doesn't work at all. So I had to have a new hard disk and do the whole thing back again - including reinstalling Trados. It took days in a period of intense work. I also spent hours reading Trados user guides, until I gave up. The help online is another headache and I was happy when I found the link to ProZ’ forum.
Anyways, thank you all again. In time I will probably get all my memories back.
Ana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

LOST TRANSLATION MEMORIES

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search