Thread poster: two2tango

two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 19:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 3, 2009

Hello everyone,

I would appreciate any tip that would enhance my productivity. I am new to Vista and I cannot set up my notebook to the same settings as in my PC. Is Draft (View) equal to Normal as in XP? Is there a shortcut similar to Alt plus that I could use? Going from one segment to the other takes ages, I have to get rid of pagination! I have avoided Design view but still, I can make some coffee and comeback for the segment to appear (exxageration hahhaha)

Thank you a lot in advance!

Haydee

Mykhailo Voloshko  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 01:05
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
answer May 3, 2009

1. Instead of Alt plus you can use Ctrl+Alt+N at your laptop.
2. Install a fix: http://support.microsoft.com/hotfix/KBHotfix.aspx?kbnum=952701&kbln=en-us (it makes trados+word+vista work much faster)

[Edited at 2009-05-03 14:41 GMT]

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
"Downgrade" to XP May 3, 2009

A year and a half ago, my husband gave me as a birthday present a brand new notebook with Vista. After realizing that it was absolutely slow, I did a phone call to Dell support and a very nice guy spent an hour and a half helping me with the settings to increase my productivity. Online, he entered into my notebook, and reconfigured it. It helped a lot, it was much more faster, but not fast enought as it used to be when I had XP.
After making liters of coffee, and being very nervous with deadlines, I decided that is was better -both for my physical and mental health - to downgrade the system to XP. I lost the OEM guarantee, but the headaches where gone! Trados was not the culprit, but Vista.

Andrea Martínez  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:05
Spanish to German
+ ...
I don't have experienced these problems... May 3, 2009

I changed to Vista (running on a notebook) 10 months ago and I'm really satisfied with the performance. Could it be a Word2007 problem? I heard about Word 2007 working very slowly with Trados. Why can't you use the Alt Plus shortcut on your notebook? Doesn't it have a number block?

Maybe I am so satisfied with my new working environment because my old PC was REALLY oldicon_smile.gif
Kind regards
Andrea

Hidetoshi kudo
Australia
Local time: 08:05
Member (2007)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Do you use a network printer? May 4, 2009

I had the same problem. In my case it seemed to be accessing my network printer. Try to change the printer setting of MSword to a local one or any PDF creator software (Adobe Acrobat or PrimoPDF). This might help the symptom to some degree. Good Luck!

two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! May 4, 2009

Hi,

I appreciate your answers. For the time being, I will stick to Vista and see what new things I can learn. It's uncomnfortable to be working outside my home, that's why I bought a notebook, at home, I am very happy with my XP. Thanks!

icon_smile.gif Haydée

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tips for productivity with SDL Trados 8 and Vista

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search