Thread poster: Stanislav Pokorny

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 04:47
English to Czech
+ ...
May 3, 2009

Hi all,
as promised in a different thread, I am adding the statement to licensing of SDL Studio 09 I received from Massimo Ghislandi (SDL plc).
Important note: this is still an unofficial statement which has yet to be confirmed by the SDL management!

1. Existing Trados Suite (863) users...
...will be able to continue using their existing Trados license with no limitations even after an upgrade to SDL Studio 09.

2. New purchasers of SDL Studio...
...will receive a Trados Suite (863) license along with their SDL Studio 09 license. However, the Trados Suite (863) license will be limited to the period of 12 months. After that, it will expire and users will only be able to use their SDL Studio 09 license from then onwards.

Mykhailo Voloshko  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 05:47
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
off-topic May 4, 2009

They made another $100 million investment to make that decisionicon_wink.gif
Sorry!

Thanks for the information, Stanislav!

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Let's see... May 4, 2009

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Hi all,
as promised in a different thread, I am adding the statement to licensing of SDL Studio 09 I received from Massimo Ghislandi (SDL plc).
Important note: this is still an unofficial statement which has yet to be confirmed by the SDL management!

uote]

Some good newsicon_smile.gif
And another time, if we don't act, we're not taken into account...

PS.
Počkejte až dohrajou 'Hej, Slovane'.

Cheers
GG

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Market forces, as they used to say... May 4, 2009

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Cheers
GG

That's the market for you, Grzegorz. If you want something, the first thing you have to do is ask for it.

Giles

French to Polish
+ ...
Voting with feet... May 5, 2009

Giles Watson wrote:

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

That's the market for you, Grzegorz. If you want something, the first thing you have to do is ask for it.

I already made the technical analysis, see the thread
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/133409-should_sdl_autosuggest_function_be_included_in_the_freelance_edition_too-page4.html (topics Multiterm... A licensing question to SDL...), so I can but quietly follow Stanislav here.

I think the unofficial SDL statement is logic and honest.
It preserves the investments made by the old customers and gives to the newcomers a safe transition period.
So, I can blame 'em... unless they change their mind...

BTW.
The market forces may go in both directions and the people may easily vote with feet.
If we loose some substantial fonctionalities (e.g. TTX workflow), we can always refuse the suckgrade.

For suckgrade, see the Pablo Roufogalis' definition on TW_usersicon_smile.gifhttp://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/TW_users/message/48225

I think the current Trados upgrade market may be compared to Windows XP vs Vista.
We have a proven tool with well known quirks and a "revolutionary" tool with unknown ones.
So, we need some stability before a new "Windows 7 like" Trados is launched.
Of course, I assume W7 is so good as expectedicon_smile.gif

Cheers
GG

French to Polish
+ ...
Any news? May 9, 2009

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Hi all,

1. Existing Trados Suite (863) users...
...will be able to continue using their existing Trados license with no limitations even after an upgrade to SDL Studio 09.

2. New purchasers of SDL Studio...
...will receive a Trados Suite (863) license along with their SDL Studio 09 license. However, the Trados Suite (863) license will be limited to the period of 12 months. After that, it will expire and users will only be able to use their SDL Studio 09 license from then onwards.

Any news?

BTW.
The fact the people are'nt interested by this topic is somehow significative.
If you want be [put your preferred dirty word here], you'll certainly be.

Cheers
GG

psicutrinius  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Might be, Grzegorz. Might be... May 9, 2009

Until they realize, too late in the day, that since Massimo's view were "unofficial" and there was no pressure enough for them to become official it won't and 2007 will "perish". That's when everybody will get upset... after the event.

Oh and besides, SDL will say that this was not so an important issue, thus that WE have proved THEM to have been right from the very beginning.

[Editado a las 2009-05-09 12:31 GMT]

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
I'll ask May 9, 2009

Hi all,
I will check with SDL at the upcoming roadshow in Frankfurt.

In the meantime, I believe there's no harm in giving people at SDL the benefit of doubt. What's the point in asking if we are oh-so-certain about the outcome?

Best regards,
Ralf

Spain
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ralf, this is not my idea May 9, 2009

That SDL are quite difficult to persuade to give anything away seems right now to be a quite established point. The point I wanted to make is that we translators are letting it happen through not pursuing the point, as Grzegorz says.

And, on the other hand, you will no doubt agree that (1) the unofficial statement arrived because there was an uproar here and (2), there has been time enough since this statement appeared for it to be either confirmed or denied.

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No news so far May 9, 2009

Hi Grzegorz and all,
no, there has been no news so far. Neither on SDL's website, nor privately. Anyway, I appreciate that Massimo even bothered to pick up the phone and give me a call on this topic, as I am certainly not the one bringing the real dough to SDL.

Well, I've done my part. Perpahs if you, guys, could IM to SDL about Studio licensing...? This would seem reasonable from the pressure putting point of view.

[Upraveno: 2009-05-09 13:32 GMT]

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
So, what is the advice? May 9, 2009

As it stands, I really don’t know. Whatever I think of SDL Trados as a company based on several instances of my really bad experience with them, 200 something EUR is not much for something I will probably have to buy in the future anyway, and for a higher price then. On the other hand I am not ready to be crippled of my ability to deliver reliable services to customers who need (or want) Trados-segmented Word or ttx delivery. After all it was (SDL) Trados who has taught them to require such services, and the inertia of the market will probably make Trados people think better of it, but can we be sure?

I am not ready to teach SDL Trados any moral lessons, they are all adult people and I do not think their attitude to customers will be improved easily, if at all. Frankly, I do not even care about their apparent inability and/or unwillingness to really listen to their customers. Simply not only customers but also suppliers come all sorts, and that is a fact.

I just want a solution which is acceptable for me from the practical point of view, meaning the price and usability. Perhaps buying the 2009 thingy and downgrading to the last Trados version which was not Internet-activated and can be used on the basis of a licensing file on my PC is the answer? Or what will be the rule of thumb applied by other old salts?

Antonin

Spain
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
This is the gist, Antonin... May 9, 2009

As I see it. With this fixation on ROI SDL seem to have, 200 Eur make sense. You are faced with (a) a product (2007) to be written off, (b) the new one as an upgrade at a discount (c) you will NEED to upgrade sooner or later, and at a higher cost (and maybe quite higher) so coughing up 200 eur makes a nice ROI for you, doesn't it?.

Of course, nobody cares about the (your) ROI on 2007, because this one is to be written off

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Advice? May 10, 2009

Hi Antonín,
I don't think there can be any advice until SDL publish their official statement. To your concerns: you can still deliver TTX files with SDL Studio, however you won't be able to deliver segmented Word files. But honestly: who uses Word as an editing environment these days?

I would strongly advise to wait for some sort of information from SDL. Don't worry, if their sales promotion expires, another one will be there real soon.

Frankly, I do not even care about their apparent inability and/or unwillingness to really listen to their customers. Simply not only customers but also suppliers come all sorts, and that is a fact.

Antonín, this is not a fact, this is simply your case. I'm not an advocate of SDL, but whatever I needed they always responded very quickly and professionally. I'm not a Prince Charming; in fact, I've published many posts that were anything but glorifying SDL, but I've always tried to be balanced. Not waving accusations at somebody just because others are.
Perhaps this is the way of making providers listen to your concerns and wishes...

[Upraveno: 2009-05-10 23:50 GMT]

French to Polish
+ ...
DVX case... May 11, 2009

psicutrinius wrote:

That SDL are quite difficult to persuade to give anything away seems right now to be a quite established point. The point I wanted to make is that we translators are letting it happen through not pursuing the point, as Grzegorz says.

And, on the other hand, you will no doubt agree that (1) the unofficial statement arrived because there was an uproar here and (2), there has been time enough since this statement appeared for it to be either confirmed or denied.

As you probably know, I'm basically a DVX user but it doesn't affect too much my judgment capabilities, so the text below is rather objective.

When DVX was published after a 16-months delay in 2003 (several times, a lot of us badly complained about this delay, but when we knew the Emilio's cancer story, we felt all we were poor bastards...), the early purchasers had a possibility to switch immediately to DVX and loose their DV3 licence or pay an additional fee and have both of them.
In my case, it was 100 euro, for some older customers, it was more (please, take in account the DV upgrade cycle is 5-6 years, not 1 (one) year like the Trados one, so the additional fee was reasonable).

I don't use DV3 anymore, but even after 6 years I can always revert to DV3 if necessary (in fact. it is not necessary at all now...).

And it was perfectly clear during several months before and after the DVX launch.

As DVX was a revolution, the guys who switched immediately to DVX had some serious problems during the first months after the release.
Every revolutionnary software behaves in ths way.
No exceptions.
As T2009 is a revolution too, at least in the Trados user's community, the early upgraders will have serious problems too.
So you must have a possibility to go back in case of problems.
If you don't realize it, it's your S!#$L Tra!#%s problem.

In fact, no comments.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2009-05-11 15:26 GMT]

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Some people still use Word as an editing environment May 11, 2009

I don't think there can be any advice until SDL publish their official statement. To your concerns: you can still deliver TTX files with SDL Studio, however you won't be able to deliver segmented Word files. But honestly: who uses Word as an editing environment these days?

Stanislav, I may be wrong, but there seem to be lots of people using Word to translate Word documents.

There quite a few questions in the forum (11 out of the last 50 messages in the Trados support forum, if I counted right).

I imagine that SDL Studio 2009 will be able to edit Trados segmented documents for compatibility...

Daniel

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Studio 2009: unofficial statement to licensing

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search