Thread poster: michelelemieux

michelelemieux  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:50
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
May 4, 2009

I hate to rehash the same old story again, because we have discussed it too often as it is, but it keeps reappearing and I have noticed something.

Could it be that when we go from TagEditor back to Word, this menu problem appears?

I'm just curious because in reading other threads, some of you have said this. And Friday, my Trados menu was present in Word. Yesterday, I worked with TagEditor and this morning, my menu is gone from Word again. It happens often enough now that I can fix it.

I will try to work with OpenOffice on my next project just to get out from under Microsoft. That would be another topoic, however, wouldn't it?

You all have a wonderfully busy week!

Michele

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:50
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Well, this happens mostly on Friday afternoon May 4, 2009

when all support possibilites are gone...
No, of course not - but there is also no other theory, why that happens.
I think it is quite clear, what happens - templates are going corrupt or detached.
Now believe it or not, something like that happens some every 5 or 10 years to me. Why? Because I have write protected templates and no customer file can simply modify them.
Maybe you should also think about this option?

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:50
French to Polish
+ ...
It's not so stupid... May 4, 2009

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

when all support possibilites are gone...
No, of course not - but there is also no other theory, why that happens.

Tag Editor invokes Word in background if you use the spellchecker.
So TE must access the Trados template and may corrupt it in some circonstances.
As the Trados template programming is really bad (e.g. see the Word 2007 issues when multiple Word instances are open), it's possible.
Of course, TE should not be considered guilty before proven
Any other program which invokes Word in the background may do it (e.g. wordcount software).

I think it is quite clear, what happens - templates are going corrupt or detached.
Now believe it or not, something like that happens some every 5 or 10 years to me. Why? Because I have write protected templates and no customer file can simply modify them.

Simply, put your idea in the SDL ideas site and lets wait some years

Maybe you should also think about this option?

Your solution follows exactly the SDL line
I.e. "we're unable to fix it, so we put it in the knowledge base, DIY"

PS.
I prefer to leave these files write enabled.
I use a batch file in order to restore the template files if necessary.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2009-05-04 18:55 GMT]

libby965
United States
Local time: 16:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
2 more options: adobe fix and corrupted templates May 4, 2009

Hi,

I've had this problem a few times, each time different reason:

1) Conflict with an updated security patch. Had to reinstall trados and menu reappeared.
2) Conflict with adobe. I downloaded all updates for adobe and trados and then was okay.

3) Last time happened, checked for updates and I already had them all. Also checked templates trados8.dot and normal.dot and all seemed correct.

However it ended up my trados8.dot file had become corrupted (they were able to tell by comparing the file size of the template in my folder with the one in the installation folder).

We deleted all copies of the trados8.dot and re-copied from installation folder (that had been recently updated in last month or so), rebooted and voila, menu reappeared!

Hope it may help!
Libby

Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 00:50
English to Greek
+ ...
After translating footnotes in Word, Trados menu and toolbar disappear May 5, 2009

This is one case on which both Trados menu and toolbar disappear. SDL suggest a solution through their knowledge base (for WinXP and Trados 8):

Article 1550:

Since the incorrect Word view settings have been written to the registry, you have to edit a particular registry entry as follows to correct the problem:

1. Close Word 2000, 2002 (XP) or 2003.
2. From the Start menu, select Run.
3. Type regedit into the Run box, and click OK.
4. Open the following key:
— Word 2000: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Word\Data.
— Word 2002 (Word XP): HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Word\Data.
— Word 2003: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Word\Data.
5. Highlight the Data key, and press [Del].
6. Confirm that you want to delete the key.
7. Close the registry.
8. Launch Word again. The toolbars and menu bar are reset to their default options.

Of course, this is not the only case. But sometimes, the Windows restore feature will do the trick!

[Edited at 2009-05-05 04:35 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggested theory on the Trados menu disappearing act

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search