How to check consistency across several files with Trados?
Thread poster: Yeti_fr

Yeti_fr
Local time: 16:03
English to French
May 5, 2009

Hi,

I normally use SDLX, but for this project I was forced to use Trados (and so far I don't like it).
I use the SDL Trados QA Checker 2.0 for a QA check including consistency check when I have finished translating a file.
Now, how can I run the QA check on the whole set of files (150 files approximately) to ensure the consistency of my translation?

Thank you.

Igor Galiouk (X)
Local time: 12:03
English to Russian
Xbench May 6, 2009

Yeti_fr wrote:

Hi,

I normally use SDLX, but for this project I was forced to use Trados (and so far I don't like it).
I use the SDL Trados QA Checker 2.0 for a QA check including consistency check when I have finished translating a file.
Now, how can I run the QA check on the whole set of files (150 files approximately) to ensure the consistency of my translation?

Thank you.

You can try ApSIC Xbench (download available at http://www.apsic.com/en/downloads.aspx). It's free & easy to use.

Yeti_fr
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
No Trados command? May 6, 2009

It's not possible to do something as basic as that using Trados?

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:03
Italian to English
In memoriam
QA in Trados May 6, 2009

Hi Yeti,

With Trados you can do QA directly in TagEditor or by using Synergy with either TagEditor or Word+Workbench.

I haven't seen Trados 2009 but I imagine robust QA will be integrated into the program.

HTH

Giles

Yeti_fr
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
On more than one file? May 6, 2009

Giles Watson wrote:

Hi Yeti,

With Trados you can do QA directly in TagEditor or by using Synergy with either TagEditor or Word+Workbench.

I haven't seen Trados 2009 but I imagine robust QA will be integrated into the program.

HTH

Giles

But can you do QA on more than one file? If yes, how?

Concerning Trados 2009, it seems to be based on SDLX, and it's already possible to do this with SDLX, so I have no doubt it'll be possible in Trados 2009.

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Verify multiple files in Synergy or and/or glue them May 6, 2009

Yeti_fr wrote:

You can verify single files, groups of files or all the files in any Synergy project you create.

There is also a Trados tool to "glue" large numbers of small files into a single tag file that you can translate and verify together.

HTH

Giles

Igor Galiouk (X)
Local time: 12:03
English to Russian
Xbench will do it alll May 7, 2009

Giles Watson wrote:

Yeti_fr wrote:

You can verify single files, groups of files or all the files in any Synergy project you create.

There is also a Trados tool to "glue" large numbers of small files into a single tag file that you can translate and verify together.

HTH

Giles

If you use Xbench, you won't have to neither convert files, nor use this "glue" function. It can analyse multiple files quite OK in very few simple steps:

Running Xbench

Launch Xbench. In Project menu select New. The following dialog box will open:

Click on the Add… button and select the relevant file types:
– if you are working with Transit language pairs, select STAR Transit Directory Tree,
– if you are working with ttx files, select Trados TagEditor files,
– etc.

Click Next. Browse to the folder where your project is located.

Click Next and ensure the Ongoing translation checkbox is selected.

Click Next and ensure the Recurse Directories checkbox is selected.

Click OK. Click OK again.

The Xbench application will start loading the language pairs. Once it is finished, select the QA tab where you can see the default checks. On the QA tab you can define the checking method, first by selecting a topic in the Check Group window, than determining what you want to check in the List of Checks window. However, the default state is that everything is selected, except for the option: Target same as source.

After defining the checks, press Check Ongoing Translation button.

The application will display a report highlighting the issues.

Note 1: In the report you might see some strings marked as Not translated (these might come from the translation extract which we did not translate – in such case these ones are ok).

Look at the report below and check the inconsistencies in the Hungarian translation.

Note 2: Sometimes Xbench swaps the languages and thinks Hungarian is source and English target. If this is the case, then you could look for inconsistencies in source to find errors in Hungarian.

Note 3: If this method is not giving you the expected results you can do the following: In Transit export the Project as a TMX file. Then follow the steps 1 to 9, but in Step 2 select TMX memory instead of Transit directory tree.

The report:

On the left-hand side, there is information about the type of the error and the file names in which the errors can be found. Then there are two columns with the source and the target.

In the window at the bottom of the page, you can find different types of information, depending on which line you have selected.

Working with the report:

To correct the mistakes in the files, you have to select and then right-click on the error you want to correct, and select Edit Source.

For Transit language pair, the text will open up in Notepad, you will only see the translation. To see the source as well, you have to open the language pair manually.

For TagEditor files, the text will open up as ttx, in TagEditor, you just have to select the relevant .ini (Tag Settings) file first. If you did not have to pin an .ini file to Trados while translating/reviewing, just select predefined .html setting. If you are not sure, ask the PM.

Saving the report

To save the report, right-click on the report area and select Export QA results. Browse for a location to save the file. You can save it in three formats: .html, .xls and .xml. (The .html format is recommended to use. It is the most user-friendly format, esp. when sending a report.)

After correcting the mistakes, right-click again on the report area and select Check. A new report will be generated, showing those errors which have not been corrected yet, or no errors at all.

Yeti_fr
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
XBench did the trick May 10, 2009

XBench did all I needed, and it was much easier to use than Synergy.
Thxs a lot.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
There are other ways too May 10, 2009

1) You can glue all files into a single one and run the consistency check on this single file;

2) You can purchase QA Distiller (www.qa-distiller.com) which is a very elegant solution to most QA checks. It has saved me hundreds of hours...

Yeti_fr
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
QA Distiller - Way too expensive May 11, 2009

Glueing more than 100 files was not exactly an easy solution.
QA Distiller seems to be a nice tool, but $249 is too expensive for my needs, especially to do something that a software I already paid for (Trados) should do...

XBench may not be as good as QA Distiller, but it was good enough for me, and free!

Thxs for the suggestion though

Shawn Champion  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Thanks Igor! Sep 19, 2012

XBench is great.

Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:03
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Try Verifika. It's like ApSIC Xbench, on steroids. Sep 20, 2012

I recommend that you have a look at Verifika. It does cost €75, but I think it is well worth it.

from their website:

'Currently the market offers several tools for automated translation quality control, which vary in price, functionality and effectiveness.

Are there sound reasons to choose Verifika? Absolutely!

What does differentiate Verifika from other tools?

• Built-in editor for all supported file formats. You don’
... See more
I recommend that you have a look at Verifika. It does cost €75, but I think it is well worth it.

from their website:

'Currently the market offers several tools for automated translation quality control, which vary in price, functionality and effectiveness.

Are there sound reasons to choose Verifika? Absolutely!

What does differentiate Verifika from other tools?

• Built-in editor for all supported file formats. You don’t need to open another application and search for your erroneous segment there – just edit it within Verifika and seamlessly save to the original file. Verifika saves up to 10 backup copies and always keeps the initial files, so you have no way to loose anything and always have a way back!
• Editing on the fly. You can change segments to resolve errors directly in the report which saves a lot of time and thus money.
• Re-checking on the fly. As soon as you make changes in a segment, it gets re-checked immediately to make sure you did not occasionally introduce other errors.
• Auto-corrections for many errors. Verifika suggests auto-corrections where possible; in such cases you can resolve errors in just one click.
• Terminology check detecting and learning word forms. You can import a tab-delimited terminology file, and Verifika will automatically detect potential word forms for your terms; all you need is to review and confirm.

What common functionality does Verifika support?

• Support for TTX, SDL XLIFF, MemoQ XLIFF (including memoQ 6 formats) and other XLIFF files as well as TMX and WordFast TXML. Bilingual Word files, Idiom XLZ and LionBridge XLZ formats are coming soon.
• Single-tool check for formal, consistency, terminology and spelling errors. You don’t need to run several different tools to detect all these errors – everything can be done in Verifika.
• Protection for some segment types. If you don’t want to check/edit some segment types like 100% matches etc. you can easily set up protection for them.
• Search in source and target. You can search for some particular text or for text patterns using regular expressions. Replace feature will be added soon.
• Segment viewer synchornized with the reports. You can view segments in context to make the right decision, you can edit files in this segment viewer/editor, and it keeps synchronized with the report: as soon as you switch to another error, the respective file and segment will open in the veiwer/editor. ou can also disable synchronization if you like.
• Export to Excel. You can export errors from current report tab or from all tabs to an Excel file, and you can select if they are saved to an older Excel format (.xls) or a new one (.xlsx).
• Hotkeys for routine operations. Verifika provides a lot of hotkeys to perform routine operations faster.
• Ignoring errors. You can ignore errors by pressing a space key, and ignored errors won’t go to the Excel report. You can also hide them from the reports in the application.

What other nice and helpful features does Verifika support?

• Rich sorting, grouping and filtering options in the reports. You can sort errors according to your needs, hide unnecessary errors, filter them on different criteria and group together by many attributes.
• Copy error information easily. Just select an error and press Ctrl+C, and all the information regarding the error is copied to the clipboard, so you can easily paste it to an e-mail message, an online chat or wherever you want to. In case of rich text format, the error will be highlighted just like in the report.
• Automatic detection of potential untranslatables. There is a built-in tool that detects potential untranslatables in your project files. All you need is to select necessary untranslatables and add them to the list by clicking a button. Once you have your list populated, it will be used in some checks to reduce the false positives rate even if you selected not to check for untranslatables directly.
• Intuitive user interface. Virtually all our users admit that the UI is very transparent.'

(http://e-verifika.com/ )

Michael
Collapse

Re: "Glueing more than 100 files was not exactly an easy solution" Sep 20, 2012

[quote]Yeti_fr wrote:

Glueing more than 100 files was not exactly an easy solution.
QA Distiller seems to be a nice tool, but $249 is too expensive for my needs, especially to do something that a software I already paid for (Trados) should do...

Yeti,

Since you say "Glueing more than 100 files was not exactly an easy solution" perhaps you have not tried the feature, which is in fact extremely elegant and does not require (as perhaps implied) appending all the files together by hand. When you set up the translation project, you simply direct Trados to bundle the files into a single file for the translation stage and export back to the individual source format(s).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to check consistency across several files with Trados?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search