My first steps with Trados - but how do I open MultiTerm? Please help me!
Thread poster: Katrin Lueke

Katrin Lueke  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:03
Member (2006)
English to German
May 6, 2009

Hello,
I am doing my very first translation with Trados. I own SDL Trados 2007 Freelance since two years, but I have only worked with SDLX so far.
Now a client wants me to do a translation with Trados. I am supposed to use TagEditor.
The client sent me the file to be translated and Multiterm files (XDT and XML).
I have spent the last hours with the documentation of Trados. By now, I have opened Workbench and created a TM. I also opened TagEditor with the file I have to translate. But what do I have to do to use the MultiTerm files I was provided with?
Thank you so much for your help!!!

Direct link Reply with quote

Daniel Meier  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
XDT and XML May 6, 2009

The xdt file is a termbase definition, use this to create a termbase in the Create termbase wizard (menu Termbase / Create new termbase).
When you have created this termbase, you import the xml file (menu Termbase / Import entries / then click on Process...).
Then you have to go to Trados Workbench and select this Termbase under Term recognition options.
Of course MultiTerm has to be installed to be able to do this. Note that MultiTerm has its own installation file.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Creating your termbase with the files you got May 6, 2009

Well, the mistery will be easily unvealed...

Good. What your customer sent you is a termbase definition file (the XDT file) and the entries for the termbase (the XML file).

Your first step is deciding a permanent location for the termbase (you cannot delete it later from Windows Explorer, or at least you should not). I would suggest that you create a folder in your main harddisk for termbases from customers. Something like:

C:\_Termbases\CustomerNNN\YEPPEE Cranes (assuming the end customer is called "Yeeppee cranes" for instance).

Then you create the termbase (you have to, in order to link it to Translator's Workbench):
1. Run Multiterm.
2. Choose Termbase > Create in the menu. You are asked for a folder. Browse to the folder you created earlier.
3. In the Termbase Wizard, you are shown an informative screen. Choose Next to go to Step 1 of the Wizard.
4. Choose "Load an existing termbase definition file" and browse for your customer's XDT file. Now you can basically click Next until you have completed the wizard, as there is nothing in particular you need to define. You will be asked a name for the termbase though: use a name that will be easy to identify.

Now it's time to import your entries.
5. Open your newly created termbase with Termbase > Open/Close termbase. In the dialog that appears, check the name of your termbase and click OK.
6. With the termbase now open, choose Termbase > Import entries... In the dialog that appears, click "Process" to start a standard import.
7. In step 2 of the Wizard, choose your XML file and check Fast import (as your customer made this with an export from Multiterm and all entries should work nicely). Click next until import begins.

Now you have a termbase with entries in it. To link it to Workbench and see translations in Workbench's window, run Workbench, open your translation memory for this project, choose Options > Term recognition options, choose Multiterm 7 as your multiterm version, click Browse, click the green (+) button and choose your termbase. Click OK until you are back in Workbench again.

This should be it! Now when you open a segment in TagEditor, you should see the terms on the right hand side of Workbench's window. You can of course check for entries in Multiterm itself (just open the termbase, choose the source and target terms in the toolbar and write your term in the textbox).

I hope this quick, probably incomplete description is enough for your purposes!

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Make sure MultiTerm is installed May 6, 2009

MultiTerm has to be downloaded and installed separately -- are you sure it has been correctly installed? If yes, it might be a good idea to read the MultiTerm User Guide, available in the MT documentation folder. You can select the appropriate termbase in Translator's Workbench / Tools / Term Recognition Options / Termbase.
HTH
Attila

Germany
Member (2006)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
It was not installed :-) May 6, 2009

Thank you, Daniel, Tomás and Attila!
Your comments made me realize I did not have it installed!
I am downloading it now

Germany
Member (2006)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
It worked! Thank you so much! May 8, 2009

Dear Daniel, Tomás and Attila!
After the download was complete, I installed MultiTerm, did everything as you said, and it worked!
Thank you so much!
Katrin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

My first steps with Trados - but how do I open MultiTerm? Please help me!

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search