anamaria bulgariu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 15:37
Member (2007)
English to Romanian
+ ...
May 6, 2009

Hello,

First, I'd like to know whether this is possible (translating .utf8 files with TagEditor v.7), because TagEditor is returning error 80003, file type not recognized and if it is possible... do I need to make any conversion first? Personally, it's the first time I have to deal with such files, so forgive me if there was any similar thread posted in the past, because I for one haven't found it yet.

Secondly, I have made a few attempts at translating these files by opening them with Microsoft Word 2003 and Workbench, but... the result cannot be cleaned due to the fact that formatting is altered on saving the file, i.e. hidden text and tags turn into plain formatting.

Thank you for any suggestion,
Ana

Olaf (X)
Local time: 14:37
English to German
UTF8 = Unicode UTF8 text files May 6, 2009

UTF8 is one of several Unicode standards. Usually these files are plain text files or .xml files encoded as UTF8. Open the file with Notepad to find out if it's plain text. If you see tags check the first line to see whether it's .xml or .html. Based on your findings rename the file either to .txt, .xml, or .htm and then translate as usual.

HTH,
Olaf

SysfilterMaker
Germany
Local time: 14:37
or convert using Word... May 7, 2009

Hi Ana,

you could also work in MS Word using Workbench. First convert the file from UTF8 to Word.

1.Settings in Word:
To locate the Confirm conversion at Open check box, click Options on the Tools menu and then click the General tab.
2. Select the "Confirm conversion at Open check box" then open your UTF8 file.
3. Save as DOC file....

After translation process and clean-up save the doc file as "Only text *.txt". Select coding "Unicode (utf8)".

Hope it helps....

Bye

Wilhelm

www.sysfilter.com

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating .utf8 files with TagEditor

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search