WinAlign closes unexpectedly - what could be the reason?
Thread poster: Pavel Tsvetkov

Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 22:45
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

May 7, 2009

I am aligning two big files BG-EN, however every time they are aligned (or 2 seconds later) WinAlign closes before I can open the aligned files to view the result. What could be causing it? Some special symbol in the text of the two files? I tried changing the format between doc-rtf-plain text but nothing helps.

Ulf Norlinger  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 21:45
English to Swedish
+ ...
Memory? May 7, 2009

Maybe you are out of memory, or something?

I.e. start the Activity Manager -> Performance. Check how the system is used while performing your activities.

Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
No, it's not that... May 8, 2009

I have 4 GB of RAM and plenty of CPU power... so it's not that. I am thinking maybe there is some kind of special symbol somewhere in the text that's causing it, but I cannot find anything.

Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 20:45
Document length? May 8, 2009

How long are the files? I used to have this with large files (100+ pages)

I've found that if you split the files into more manageable chunks, say 20 pages, then WinAlign doesn't close down and you can get on with the job in hand.

I'm sure someone else is bound to know a snazzier short-cut, but this is what works for meicon_smile.gif

Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
300 pages each May 8, 2009

The documents are 300 pages each. So this might just be one of those traditional and never-to-be-fixed problems of Tradosicon_frown.gif

Thank you, Orla!

Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Red artifacts May 8, 2009

OK... I cut the files into pieces and a now a whole new set of problems arised: WinAlign would stop at 1%, just after converting the files to *.rtf... and that's it.

The only workabout I was able to find was to save the original files to *.docx or *.docm which were later automatically transferred to *.ttx format by WinAlign, and voila - this time the 300 page files opened without a glitch. However, the text was full of red atrifacts (red like zeros) - does anybody know what those are and how to get rid of them?

[Edited at 2009-05-08 23:30 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WinAlign closes unexpectedly - what could be the reason?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search