Thread poster: Arvind Raman

Arvind Raman
Singapore
Member (2008)
German to English
+ ...
May 9, 2009

Hi All,

I am a new user for SDL Trados 2007. I need a little help. A client wants me to deliver both Clean and unclean files. How is this done? I do understand unclean=bilingual? But then is it not, that if I use the Clean up option this will clean up the source? How do I deliver both files?

Thanks
Arvind

Direct link Reply with quote

Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 18:42
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Uncleaned file May 9, 2009

Hi Arvind,

If you are working in Word, once you clean your file you´ll have a cleaned xxxx.doc/rtf file and a xxxx.bak file (bilingual). Just open this bak file in Word, change it´s name to xxx_bilingual, save it as doc and you´ll have both cleaned and uncleaned versions of the same file.

If you are using TagEditor, go to File, Save target file... and you´ll get a file in your target language. Make a copy of your original file first, because the Save target file option will replace your original file with the target version.
The uncleaned (bilingual) version, in this case, is the ttx file you created with TagEditor.

Hope this helps

Marina

Arvind Raman
Singapore
Member (2008)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ok. May 9, 2009

Hi Marina,

Thanks a lot for your response.

I had received a Tag file and I saved it as a bilingual file and ran the translation in that. Is that a incorrect way? So now as you mention I have to save it as target file and then a bilingual file does this damage the already saved bilingual file?

Should I then redo all the steps?

Appreciate your help.

Arvind

Argentina
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No May 9, 2009

Hi again!

Sorry, but I can´t understand what your mean by Tag file.
Did your client send a ttx file?

Arvind Raman
Singapore
Member (2008)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes May 9, 2009

Yes,

they sent .ttx file (tradostag document)

Argentina
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Did he send the original file too? May 9, 2009

In order to deliver a cleaned file you need the original file from which your ttx file was created.
Trados cannot save the target file unless the source file in the same folder as the ttx (it overwrites the source file).

So, either you ask your client to provide the original file or you just deliver your translated ttx file.

There´s no other thing you can do.

Nice Sunday!
Marina

Arvind Raman
Singapore
Member (2008)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ok May 9, 2009

ok.

I think then it is not needed to send clean file... I received .ttx and saved it as bilingual file and ran the matches and did the changes where required. so everything ok i guess. will just update my TM.

Thanks a lot. appreciate ur help..

Have a nice weekend too.

Arvind

Arvind Raman
Singapore
Member (2008)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ok May 9, 2009

sorry to bother again.. in such a case how do i update the TM as i also need to deliver that. the workbench has the option to clean up and there has another option to update TM but then if i use this will it clean up the file?

Arvind

Argentina
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
There´s no need to clean the file May 9, 2009

If you have edited the text and made the necessary changes in your bilingual file the TM was updated everytime you closed a segment.

But, if you want to clean it to make sure that all segments are updated, just do it.

When you clean a ttx file it doesn´t change, it remains bilingual.
So clean it in Workbench and remember to check the Update TM option.

Marina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Tag editor

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search