TagEditor shows question marks instead of Hindi characters in target segments.
Thread poster: chopra_2002

chopra_2002  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 01:13
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
May 10, 2009

I need to translate a ttx file by using the TagEditor. When I open the file in TagEditor, I see a series of question marks in the target segment. This is perhaps the Hindi text already present in the memory. In addition to it, when I type something, I get question marks in place of Hindi characters. Could you tell me what is the reason behind it and how should I fix it?

Regards,

Chopra

Sangeeta Joshi  Identity Verified
India
Member (2009)
German to English
Language Settings May 10, 2009

This is probably because Unicode support has not been enabled in your Windows language settings. In the control panel, go to Regional and Language Options, then select Install files for complex scripts and right-to-left languages. The computer will ask for your Windows installation CD. Just follow the instructions.

India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your answer, but... May 10, 2009

I am not having this problem with the other files being translated by me by using this software.

Sangeeta Joshi  Identity Verified
India
Member (2009)
German to English
Switch between English/Hindi Scripts May 10, 2009

Just check if there is a Language tab on the taskbar at the bottom of your screen with the option of switching between English and Hindi scripts.

India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, it is available on the task bar. May 10, 2009

I switch between English and Hindi to translate the document into Hindi but the problem is persisting. It appears that the reason is different which is unknown for the time being.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor shows question marks instead of Hindi characters in target segments.

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search