Complex and large xml files make Trados and SDLX crash... other solutions?
Thread poster: Emma Colette

Emma Colette
Netherlands
Local time: 18:57
English to French
May 11, 2009

Hi,
I have very large (close to 3.5 MB) and complex xml files for alignment and translation.
For the alignement, I encounter the following issues: WinAlign keeps crashing, even when I try to split the files in smaller chunks. SDLX Align works better but crashes on Analyze.
For the translation, I encounter the following issues: the xml file also contains HTML tags that do not get tagged out in TagEditor or SDLX, generating very messy idt or ttx files for translation and making a wordcount impossible. I also tried CatsCradle. The file looked good until I realized that not all text was displayed and therefore accessible for translation.
At this point, I would welcome any suggestions on tools or solutions. I know Catalyst boosts an xml parser but it's an expensive tool and I would love to read users' experience before trying it out.
Thanks.
Emma

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Word? May 11, 2009

Trados 2007 should help you tag the HTML inside XML with the Snippet Mark-up Plug-in in Tag Editor, but mine has ceased to work for some reason, and was never user-friendly anyway. If yours works, but you have never used it, see the TE Help for instructions on regular expressions and add those in the examples first.

If that doesn't help, here's a solution that is not elegant, but at least it's reliable.

1. Open the files as text in Word (or just copy the content into an empty Word file) and save as DOC/RTF.
2. Add Trados styles by using the sAddTagStyles Macro from the Trados template.
Now, change all tags to tw4winExternal, by finding \ and replacing with just the External style set in the Replace box, using wildcards.
3. Using your judgment, change individual tags to tw4winInternal as appropriate, probably using wildcards. This is XML, so you can't avoid guessing.

You'll get a Trados-tagged doc or RTF, and I'm sure you'll know what to do with it.icon_smile.gif

Good luck

Emma Colette
Netherlands
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Very helpful! May 11, 2009

Adam Łobatiuk wrote:

Trados 2007 should help you tag the HTML inside XML with the Snippet Mark-up Plug-in in Tag Editor, but mine has ceased to work for some reason, and was never user-friendly anyway. If yours works, but you have never used it, see the TE Help for instructions on regular expressions and add those in the examples first.

If that doesn't help, here's a solution that is not elegant, but at least it's reliable.

1. Open the files as text in Word (or just copy the content into an empty Word file) and save as DOC/RTF.
2. Add Trados styles by using the sAddTagStyles Macro from the Trados template.
Now, change all tags to tw4winExternal, by finding \ and replacing with just the External style set in the Replace box, using wildcards.
3. Using your judgment, change individual tags to tw4winInternal as appropriate, probably using wildcards. This is XML, so you can't avoid guessing.

You'll get a Trados-tagged doc or RTF, and I'm sure you'll know what to do with it.icon_smile.gif

Good luck

Hi Adam,
Thanks a lot for this constructive answer! That's exactly what I needed....
I will investigate this TagEditor Plug-in and the Word soltuion, to see what is the best for this file and I will post my findings.
Again, thanks a lot. I really appreciate the suggestions.
Emma

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
The example got cut out from my post May 11, 2009

The code to replace for the External style should be \icon_smile.gif

Emma Colette
Netherlands
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Snippets saved the day May 13, 2009

Hi Adam,
The Snippet plug-in saved the day. I used the regular expressions and that worked like a charm. Without all those HTML tags, the file seemed then less unstable and WinAlign could handle it. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I sure learned a lot!
Emma
icon_biggrin.gif

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
A different solution May 13, 2009

First of all, you have to have a suitable INI file to handle XMLs. Once you have it, open the XMLs in TagEditor and save them as TTX. Use WinAlign to align the TTX files. Should be stable.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Complex and large xml files make Trados and SDLX crash... other solutions?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search