Thread poster: gpauwen

gpauwen
Netherlands
Local time: 07:50
French to German
+ ...
May 12, 2009

Hello group !

I am new to SDL Trados, and I wonder if there are default files that I can use to fill my translation memory and MultiTerm databases. Or am I, and each new SDL Trados user, supposed to start from scratch and start building his or her own memory ?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Regards,

Georg

Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 08:50
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Two ways... May 12, 2009

1) Start from the scratch and grow you own databases as you translate new jobs.

2) Create TMs using old translations. The process is called "alignment" of two files (source and translation). Then, you can grow those bases on.

FarkasAndras
Local time: 07:50
English to Hungarian
+ ...
And the third way May 12, 2009

...is to find some resources in the areas you work in.
There are more glossaries out there on than you can shake stick at - and some of them are actually pretty good. Same with TMs.
I'm in a generous mood tonight, so I give you a random list of codewords and abbreviations. Google them.

GEMET, CPV, DGT TM, Eurovoc, ISI, Europarl corpus.

These are fairly general and multilingual, you'll obviously want to search for resources that fit your language combo and field of work.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation Memory & MultiTerm

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search