Trados for Office 2008 (Mac) _ Is it possible?
Thread poster: Iván Madrigal

Iván Madrigal  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:41
English to Spanish
May 12, 2009

Dear colleagues,

I have done some research on the forums and I think I already know the answer, but since I didn´t find a clear NO, I will ask again;

Does anyone know of a soultion to use Trados on Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac? Does the new version of Trados work on this version of Office for Mac?

Right now I am using a new MacBook, the system works pretty well and I would like to be able to use Trados with it directly, without having to use the virtual tool or Boot Camp (which is what I am using right now to boot on XP).

I can do without SDLX, I don´t use it that often (lately), but I really need Trados at daily basis.

Thanks for your help, any suggestions or comments are appreciated.

- And sorry if it was already clear and I didn´t find the relevant post!

Bests,
Iván

Direct link Reply with quote

Angeliki Papadopoulou  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 21:41
Member (2006)
English to Greek
+ ...
The answer is... May 12, 2009

... no, at least not yet, Iván! I would so love it if it did...

Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:41
Member (2004)
German to English
Not the existing versions May 12, 2009

Maybe the new version coming out in June...
Gillian Searl

Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Ah well.. let´s keep waiting then :)) May 12, 2009

Thanks for your answers, Gillian and Angeliki.

If anyones knows of a solution, please let us know here!

Bests,
Iván

Jorge Aguilar Juarez  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 04:41
German to Spanish
Can I fuel my car with water? May 12, 2009

Trados will NEVER EVER work on a mac. It is written using Microsoft developing tools that have nothing to do with the macintosh arquitecture.

Please, don't buy a mac only because is a nice toy.......

Jorge

Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Well... May 12, 2009

Thanks for your opinion, Jorge.

But I disagree; exactly the same was said about Office when Microsoft launched it and everyone complained about not having the same editors and plugins for Mac, and now (well, since about 5 years ago) we have two fully working versions of Microsoft Office for Mac, 2004 and 2008 with most plugins available or replacements...

Seeing that most DTPs, graphics, presentations and editing work is done in a Mac, it makes a lot of sense to me if SDL would launch a Mac version to ease the process. As a matter of fact, Mac is already creating translation tools; AppleTrans and OmegaT as two examples.

Apart from being a nice toy (it´s always nice to work with nice toys, at the end of the day we spent a lot of hours in front of them), Macs are much more reliable and solid than PCs, at least in my personal experience.

Then again, I respect your NEVER EVER version, it´s an opinon as respectable as any other. I just hope you´re wrong)

Bests,
Iván

[Editado a las 2009-05-12 14:49 GMT]

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:41
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Not a toy May 12, 2009

Jorge Aguilar Juarez wrote:

Trados will NEVER EVER work on a mac. It is written using Microsoft developing tools that have nothing to do with the macintosh arquitecture.

Please, don't buy a mac only because is a nice toy.......

Jorge

I am writing this on an Apple MacBook. Ivàn, instead of Boot Camp, have you looked into Parellels Desktop? It will run Windows, Vista, or Linux on a Mac without needing to reboot and without any performance loss.

Also have you tried AppleTrans? http://developer.apple.com/internationalization/localization/tools.html

Enjoy your Mac

Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Exactly May 12, 2009

Hi Tom, thanks for your suggestions.

It seems as if our messages just crossed, we´re both mentioning roughly the same, great minds...

I have tried AppleTrans, it looks promising, but most of my clients require the unclean versions of the files worked with Trados TWB or TagEditor, and that is not possible with AppleTrans or OmegaT right now.

I was seriously considering Parallels Desktops, I didn´t do it because I was fearing a decrease on the performance, but now that you say it doesn´t affect it, I might give it a try.

Our kit at home has always been a Mac, and my working one a PC for all these compatibility issues, but since last Vista fiasco and a lot of data losses due to crashes on PCs and a long etc, I decided to use the Mac as production kit. So far so good

Bests,
Iván

Angeliki Papadopoulou  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 21:41
Member (2006)
English to Greek
+ ...
May I also say... May 12, 2009

... Wordfast is compatible with both PCs and Macs!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados for Office 2008 (Mac) _ Is it possible?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search