How do I preserve my source text when cleaning up?
Thread poster: Alex Farrell (X)
Alex Farrell (X)
Alex Farrell (X)  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 01:35
Japanese to English
May 13, 2009

Hi all. I'm new to Trados and am translating MS Word 2003 files in which the client needs me to put the English translation under each segment of Japanese source text. How do I get Trados to not remove the source text when cleaning up the file?

Version info: SDL Trados Translator's Workbench 8.3.0.863 - (Build 863) (Part of SDL Trados 2007)

Thanks,

Alex

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:35
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
aehm.. you can't if you use the "Cleanup" May 13, 2009

Hello Alex,

I am not sure why you'd want not to have the source removed.... if your client asked you to deliver the uncleaned (bilingual file) as well, simply make a copy with a different name. The operation performed with the cleaning up is to remove the source text and keep the target only, your translation. You can't keep the source text this way. During this process a bak file is created (uncleaned) which can be opened in MSWord (if the original file was a doc/rtf). If you clean
... See more
Hello Alex,

I am not sure why you'd want not to have the source removed.... if your client asked you to deliver the uncleaned (bilingual file) as well, simply make a copy with a different name. The operation performed with the cleaning up is to remove the source text and keep the target only, your translation. You can't keep the source text this way. During this process a bak file is created (uncleaned) which can be opened in MSWord (if the original file was a doc/rtf). If you clean up via TWB the TM is updated (useful, in case you have edited the target translation during review without opening segments).

I am normally asked to deliver both uncleaned and cleaned file, so I prefer to make a copy renaming the file to be cleaned (say, _uncleaned for the bilingual and _L2 for the cleaned file where L2 is the language code of the target text) instead of sending the bak file.

Giuliana

[Edited at 2009-05-13 04:17 GMT]
Collapse

Alex Farrell (X)
Alex Farrell (X)  Identity Verified
Japan
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
I see May 13, 2009

Oh, okay. My client doesn't want an unclean file with hidden text and stuff, but simply the translation under each paragraph of source text in a normal Word document. So it looks like I'll just have to take care of it manually. Thanks anyway.

Alex

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:35
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
err.. that's what you get automatically May 13, 2009

hi again Alex,

no need to do anything manually, as translating with Trados performs that automatically.

OK, I might describe the obvious, but just to be sure: open TWB, open file (renamed in case) & open the first segment (using the shortcut or clicking on the "open/get" symbol in the Trados toolbar), overwrite the target text in the target box (yellow background if no match or fuzzy, green if it's a 100% match) and then click on the Set/Close next Open/Get symbol. When
... See more
hi again Alex,

no need to do anything manually, as translating with Trados performs that automatically.

OK, I might describe the obvious, but just to be sure: open TWB, open file (renamed in case) & open the first segment (using the shortcut or clicking on the "open/get" symbol in the Trados toolbar), overwrite the target text in the target box (yellow background if no match or fuzzy, green if it's a 100% match) and then click on the Set/Close next Open/Get symbol. When the following segment is opened you'll see that the one above displays tags delimiting the source text & the target text. If you don't see the source, click on that strange P symbol so that hidden characters are displayed or via Tools - display all characters or hidden text.

Giuliana

[Edited at 2009-05-13 04:46 GMT]
Collapse

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 18:35
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
segmentation rules May 13, 2009

If your customer insists on paragraphs, it might be useful for you to go (in the Workbench window) File-Setup and open the Segmentation Rules tab, on which you can force segmenation by paragraphs only. Whether it is or is not a good thing to do depends on your particular situation (how big the file is, how long the typical paragraphs are in it, etc.): it is a tradeoff, since segmentation by paragraphs usually reduces the usefulness for repeated sentences, but manually gluing translated sentences... See more
If your customer insists on paragraphs, it might be useful for you to go (in the Workbench window) File-Setup and open the Segmentation Rules tab, on which you can force segmenation by paragraphs only. Whether it is or is not a good thing to do depends on your particular situation (how big the file is, how long the typical paragraphs are in it, etc.): it is a tradeoff, since segmentation by paragraphs usually reduces the usefulness for repeated sentences, but manually gluing translated sentences (or breaking the cleaned text) may be so tedious that you might be ready to pay that price...

As a final touch, if required by the customer, you can then remove the Trados-tags (preferably using their colour) and convert hidden font to unhidden.

Antonin
Collapse

Rod Walters
Rod Walters  Identity Verified
Japan
Japanese to English
Yes, that's a manual task May 13, 2009

I sometimes get asked to do that, and it's a pain. People think tasks like that are trivial compared to time spent translating, but often that's not the case.

You can either do it as you translate (and then forget to do it half the time!), or do it all in one go at the beginning. Best to keep a copy of the original somewhere before you start.

Adam Łobatiuk
Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
This could work... May 13, 2009

Rod Walters wrote:
I sometimes get asked to do that, and it's a pain. People think tasks like that are trivial compared to time spent translating, but often that's not the case.

Here's an idea: take your source text and your cleaned up translation. Open Excel and copy & paste the source into column A and the translation into column B. You should get 2 columns with separate paragraphs for the source and the target. In cell C1 enter =A1, in cell C2 enter = B1. Select C1 and C2 and drag the right bottom corner down (presumably twice the length of columns A and B).

You should get a column of source paragraphs above target paragraphs. Now, select the entire column C, copy, and 'paste special' in the same place as Values. Now you can copy it and paste back to a new Word document and fix the formatting, if necessary, using Format Painter. HTH

Yossi Rozenman
Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
You can use a table May 13, 2009

If the document formatting is relatively simple, convert the document to a table (select all, and click Table -> Convert -> Text to Table) and give it another name.

Make a copy of that document and translate it using Trados. After you cleanup the translation, copy the column to a new column in the original text table document.

Now you should have a table with two columns, original text and translated text.

Convert the table back to text (Table ->
... See more
If the document formatting is relatively simple, convert the document to a table (select all, and click Table -> Convert -> Text to Table) and give it another name.

Make a copy of that document and translate it using Trados. After you cleanup the translation, copy the column to a new column in the original text table document.

Now you should have a table with two columns, original text and translated text.

Convert the table back to text (Table -> Convert -> Table to Text). Make sure you choose Paragraph marks in the Separate text with option.

HTH
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 11:35
Spanish
+ ...
Find/Replace May 13, 2009

You don't have to do this manually, you can use the Find/Replace tool from MS Word. I tried to copy the instructions here but, because of the tags, some of the text is hidden from the view. I uploaded the instructions in Google Docs.

This is the link:

Instructions for 'How do I preserve my source text when cleaning up?'

Good luck,

... See more
You don't have to do this manually, you can use the Find/Replace tool from MS Word. I tried to copy the instructions here but, because of the tags, some of the text is hidden from the view. I uploaded the instructions in Google Docs.

This is the link:

Instructions for 'How do I preserve my source text when cleaning up?'

Good luck,

Claudia
Collapse

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 19:35
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Search the forum May 13, 2009

See this post.
Here is a tip on converting to table.

[Редактировалось 2009-05-13 07:56 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I preserve my source text when cleaning up?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »