Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Returning my license for SDL Trados
Thread poster: J-Gabriel

J-Gabriel  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
May 13, 2009

I have installed SDL Trados but I made an automatic installation. SDLX is not installed. So I need to uninstall the whole stuff and start from scratch.

I have to return my license first.

BUT

the software tells me "No information about SDL licenses could be retrieved. Please check your license locations. The specified license could not be found."

It's an activation code.

Can anybody help?

Direct link Reply with quote

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 21:18
Spanish
+ ...
Licensing issues is covered in your support May 13, 2009

I can't really help you out but SDL can help you with licensing issues. In your SDL account, go to My Support > Licensing and Installation Help and use the Solution Finder. If you don't find an solution, you have the option to submit your question.

Claudia

Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
Local time: 03:18
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Try to reinstall first? May 14, 2009

Jean-Gabriel Piette wrote:

I have installed SDL Trados but I made an automatic installation. SDLX is not installed. So I need to uninstall the whole stuff and start from scratch.

I have to return my license first.

BUT

the software tells me "No information about SDL licenses could be retrieved. Please check your license locations. The specified license could not be found."

It's an activation code.

Can anybody help?

You can reinstall everything without using a licence, so you can do that first. I have Trados on two laptops because I recently bought a new one. Online it also told me that I had 0 of 1 licences available, but when I just used the code that was online it worked anyway. Perhaps you can just reinstall and then use the code? If not you should contact SDL.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Two activations May 14, 2009

Hi Jean-Gabriel,
I believe this is because you activated Trados on two computers. Correct?
If so, don't get confused. If you returned one licenses out of two active ones, your profile will say 0 of 1 available. But still you will be able to download the second one after you re-install.

Edric Barbosa Filho
Local time: 00:18
English to Portuguese
Trados 2007 Suite Freelance allows only 1 licensed computer May 22, 2009

Trados 2007 and earlier allowed 2 activations: it showed zero but you could activate another machine, but 2007 Suite Freelance allows only one.
If is that your case, "0 of 1" really means you have zero licenses left.
Contact Trados Support and explain the problem.

Rgds

Edric

[Edited at 2009-05-22 02:25 GMT]

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
NOT true May 22, 2009

Edric Barbosa Filho wrote:

Trados 2007 and earlier allowed 2 activations: it showed zero but you could activate another machine, but 2007 Suite Freelance allows only one.

Rgds

Edric

I've been successfully using Trados Suite (863) on two machines. There is no difference. You can activate the second license even though your profile says "0 of 1 licenses available". Just give it a try and you'll see.
My experience has been confirmed several times by Gareth from SDL. Search this forum.

Yeti_fr
Local time: 09:18
English to French
Are you sure? May 22, 2009

Rgds

Edric

Are you sure of that? I have Trados 2007 Suite Freelance installed on my desktop and my laptop, same license number, and no problem using both computers (not at the same time of course).

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Edric is wrong May 22, 2009

As simple as that...

Edric Barbosa Filho
English to Portuguese
Am I? Happens here with me and other translators who upgraded May 22, 2009

It really happens here with me and my colleagues that upgraded. After we upgraded from 2007 to Suite Freelance 2007, all trials to validate in 2 machines were denied in Licence Manager.

SDL said it can only be used on one machine, that's why I could not activate it in any other.

Maybe they don't like us at SDL... Cool down, man...

Edric

[Edited at 2009-05-22 20:33 GMT]

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Strange enough May 23, 2009

Hi Edric,
this is strange indeed. Tons of other translators, myself included, have activated Suite (863) on two machines without any problems.
I will try to ask SDL once again to avoid any misunderstanding.

Edric Barbosa Filho
English to Portuguese
They REALLY don't like me... May 23, 2009

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:
Hi Edric,
this is strange indeed. Tons of other translators, myself included, have activated Suite (863) on two machines without any problems.
I will try to ask SDL once again to avoid any misunderstanding.

Yes, it really is, since we were used to that before. After paying $ 70 for the upgrade, which was good for me, since it made Trados work under Vista 64-bit, we noticed that, after activation, no other machine was accepted. Trados answered that was correct, and we left it at that...

After reading your post, I tried to activate a copy on another machine and here's the message:

"The activation of the fulfillment is denied by the activation policy because max extra acts exceeded # 9678-75864 (Error code 50040)"

We were both right: you with your double activation and I with just one...

Rgds

Edric

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
One more question May 24, 2009

If I understand correctly, you upgraded from build 835 to build 863 and installed the upgraded version on a different machine. Did you return your license from your old machine before trying to activate it on the new one?

Edric Barbosa Filho
English to Portuguese
Plain, normal installation... May 24, 2009

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

If I understand correctly, you upgraded from build 835 to build 863 and installed the upgraded version on a different machine. Did you return your license from your old machine before trying to activate it on the new one?

No, the thing couldn't be more plain: Freelance 2007 on 2 machines activated with the same code via License Manager. Then I purchased the upgrade to Suite Freelance 2007 (in fact a patch to the next build). I applied the upgrade patch on the 2 machines. Run License Manager on the first, activation OK. Run on the next machine, license not allowed.

Happened to me and 2 more colleagues that did the same thing.

I cannot install the "upgraded version" on another machine, I can only upgrade existing Freelance 2007 with the patch. No full 863 to me, just the patch. I read somewhere that Trados ceased to allow 2 machines being activated with just one license after some time...

As a matter of fact, I was really surprised when they let us have 2 activations... That's why I really didn't feel weird not being able to activate on two PCs.

Rgds

Edric

[Edited at 2009-05-24 20:36 GMT]

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Replies May 24, 2009

Freelance 2007 on 2 machines activated with the same code via License Manager. ... I applied the upgrade patch on the 2 machines.

So far so good.

Run License Manager on the first, activation OK. Run on the next machine, license not allowed.

Why did you actually try to re-activate. According to your post, this copy was already active.

I read somewhere that Trados ceased to allow 2 machines being activated with just one license after some time...

I have no such information. In fact, if they did it, SDL would be changing the rules during the game, which I doubt. However, this does not mean it is not possible. Everything is...

As a matter of fact, I was really surprised when they let us have 2 activations...

This is one of the things that have distinguished Trados from other products. Are they really going to discontinue this policy?
Perhaps Gareth could tell us more.

Edric Barbosa Filho
English to Portuguese
Because the installation program demands new activation... May 25, 2009

"Why did you actually try to re-activate. According to your post, this copy was already active."

Because the installation program demands it. You have a new product now and the previous activation is not valid after patching. You activate using the new license code provided by Trados.

Did you just applied the patch and that was it? It did not ask for reactivation? Weird...

"This is one of the things that have distinguished Trados from other products [having 2 copies activated]. Are they really going to discontinue this policy?
Perhaps Gareth could tell us more."

Discontinued to me and to my colleagues... But I really don't care, since I only use it on one machine.

Edric

[Edited at 2009-05-25 15:26 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Returning my license for SDL Trados

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search