Does anyone know if there is keyboard shortcut for the term recognition in the new trados 2009?
Thread poster: Naini
May 14, 2009

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is keyboard shortcut for the term recognition in the new trados studio 2009?

Like in trados 2007, the shortcut is Alt + arrow keys.

[Edited at 2009-05-14 03:32 GMT]

Lutz Molderings  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:01
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
options -> keyboard shortcuts May 14, 2009

Check under options -> keyboard shortcuts.

I seem to remember you can assign shortcuts yourself.
I'd look myself, but I'm no longer using this version.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
AutoSuggest May 14, 2009

Rather than placing terms using shortcuts, you may want to enable the AutoSuggest function to use the termbase as a source of suggestions. I have found this to be much quicker than having to scroll for the right term within a segment.

HTH, Ralf

Naini
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! May 14, 2009

Hi,

I am not using Trados 2009 - I learnt of it only from sdl.com.

It is very good to learn that I can "enable the AutoSuggest function to use the termbase " and that "this to be much quicker than having to scroll for the right term within a segment". I only concern is about the reponse time. In my case, I have a large memory of about 2 million TUs and a large termbase of 150,000 entries.

In my experience with Trados 2007, I found there is no delay in getting the result in both the translation window and the concordance window in the workbench (this overshalows all the other CAT tools in the market) and 2-3 seconds delay in the termbase window (which is still bearable). I am wondering if in the new 2009, with the Autosuggestion, the response time for the search in the memory is still as quick as in 2007 and the response time for the search in the termbase has been improved.

Best,

Lutz Molderings  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
hardly any delay May 14, 2009

In my experience with Trados 2007, I found there is no delay in getting the result in both the translation window and the concordance window in the workbench (this overshalows all the other CAT tools in the market) and 2-3 seconds delay in the termbase window (which is still bearable). I am wondering if in the new 2009, with the Autosuggestion, the response time for the search in the memory is still as quick as in 2007 and the response time for the search in the termbase has been improved.

Best,

Yes, response time is quick. I used up to 15 termbases (certainly over a hundred thousand words) and there was only a minor delay until the words appeared in the term recognition window. Once the terms have been found, there is no delay in the auto suggestions.

As Ralf said, the AutoSuggest function really is much faster than using shortcuts to insert your terms.

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Annoyances... May 14, 2009

Naini wrote:

I am not using Trados 2009 - I learnt of it only from sdl.com.

It is very good to learn that I can "enable the AutoSuggest function to use the termbase" and that "this to be much quicker than having to scroll for the right term within a segment". I only concern is about the reponse time. In my case, I have a large memory of about 2 million TUs and a large termbase of 150,000 entries.

In theory, it's really faster than in the "legacy" Trados approach, especially when the word order in the target language is really different from the source one.

But for multiple hits the Autosuggest function is almost always slower than using a direct shortcut kinda Alt+[1-n]/Ctrl+[1-n] disponible in a lot od CAT tools.
I.e.:
1) in Autosuggest, you need at least two successive keystrokes, in, let's say, DVX, the keystrokes kinda Alt+6 are almost simultaneous.
2) when you receive a large list of similar term hits, you must scroll 'em using arrows or type more letters.

It's the same with large lists of placeables, e.g. inserting multiple numbers in a sentence is a pain in the neck in T2009.

I think the traditional inserting methods should be restablished ar alternative methods should be provided.

In my experience with Trados 2007, I found there is no delay in getting the result in both the translation window and the concordance window in the workbench (this overshalows all the other CAT tools in the market)

Ehm... not sure...

and 2-3 seconds delay in the termbase window (which is still bearable). I am wondering if in the new 2009, with the Autosuggestion, the response time for the search in the memory is still as quick as in 2007 and the response time for the search in the termbase has been improved.

IMHO the response is quick(er) but the inserting is not if you get multiple hits.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2009-05-14 14:09 GMT]

Naini
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 14, 2009

for sharing the info about the multiple hits. I am still not sure how the autosuggest works. In T2007, the user uses Alt + arrow keys to move from one term to another or within the term if it has multiple meanings. Is Autosuggest similiar to this plus picking up terms also from the memory? That will be a lot of search work for Trados to handle.

What I mean by "overshadowing" is that, in my case (I have a memory of about 2 million TUs and a termbase of 150 000 entires), there is still no delay in getting the result in the translation and concordance windows in WTB. This is truly amazing.

best,

LL

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
I'll praise the day ... May 14, 2009

... when some whiz kid adds AutoCase to the terminology interface.

Pls note that there's still languages around, that show no intention of giving up the declension.

Correcting the nominatives in the Termbase to whatever they should be according to the text is a bother. By now I have more or less given it up and type the word in myself - which is on average at least twice as fast as pulling it down and correcting the insertion.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Some background regarding AutoSuggest May 14, 2009

Hi Naini (or LL),
I am still not sure how the autosuggest works. In T2007, the user uses Alt + arrow keys to move from one term to another or within the term if it has multiple meanings. Is Autosuggest similiar to this plus picking up terms also from the memory?

No. AutoSuggest uses a separate database that is built at the outset, from an existing TM (and thus needs to be refreshed periodically - my best guess is something between weekly and monthly). This reduces the search depth quite considerably.

On a practical level, AutoSuggest works in a similar way as Autotext in MS Word, for example. Based on what you type, you will be shown proposals based on the active termbase(s) and the AutoSuggest dictionary (if available), with termbase hits being shown on top by default.

To give you an example: one of my most-hated words to type (because I keep making typos...) is "Volatilität". If there is "volatility" in my source segment, and I start typing a "V", I might still get some 'noise', maybe a suggestion of "VDAX" (the volatility index) on the top spot. With the next key ("o"), "VDAX" will disappear, and "Volatilität" might be on top of the list. Instead of typing the rest ("latilität"), all I need to do is hit the Return key and get on with my sentence. If what I want is the second or third item on the list of suggestions (perhaps I need "Volatilitätsindex"), I just need to use the down arrow once or twice in addition.

Finally, if I don't like the suggestion, just keep on typing, and it will disappear. Works a charm, in my view.

HTH - best, Ralf

Naini
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 14, 2009

for your clear explanation. I don't think the new T2009 wil fit my needs.

Best,

LL

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does anyone know if there is keyboard shortcut for the term recognition in the new trados 2009?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search