Maintaining a license without upgrading anymore
Thread poster: Rod Walters

Rod Walters  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 00:42
Japanese to English
May 15, 2009

I'm going to step off SDL's gravy train and stop upgrading Trados. I'm happy with my current setup, and I'm going to try MemoQ as another option.

However, I've never given much thought to what happens when it comes time to replace my current PC and reinstall old software (stupid, I know). I don't have anything like a recent Trados CD.

Does anyone have any recommendations for getting and keeping a version that can be installed so that you're not reliant on downloads from SDL, which might be curtailed at some point?

I'll be grateful for any input you have.

Direct link Reply with quote

Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 17:42
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Which version? May 15, 2009

AFAIK, SDL Trados 2006 only depends on a licensing file on your PC.

The version which has to be activated online depends on (i) the contract wording and its implications; and (ii) the real situation of the company.

Generally speaking, it is always a bit of a risk with the online-activated software - if the company is liquidated and your PC crashes, you may find yourself in a tight corner whatever the contract says. Hopefully, survival likelihood of SDL Trados is quite high.

Antonin

Japan
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
More detail May 15, 2009

Thanks Antoní­n,

The version I have installed now is Freelance 2007. But I bought my first Trados about 8 years ago, and relied on downloads after that. So my question relates more to the issue of maintaining a set of installation files that can recreate my setup, including of course a valid license file.

This is the matter which eludes me, and I wonder if anybody has a solution.

Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Still website is needed... May 15, 2009

As Freelance 2007 is Internet-activated, you still need access to SDL website. In other words, if there is still access, you can get both the files and the license. If it is down permanently for some reason, installation files alone will be useless...

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Keeping downloaded version on local file server May 15, 2009

I keep the executable download on a NAS server (D-Link DNS-323) - it could reside on the local hard drive - so that whenever I reinstall my system as part of yearlyish clean restarts, I don't have to download the file again.
I then link the installation to the .lic file (also backed up), and it works. There is probably some sort of communication with the SDL server to make sure the copy is legit, but it's seamless from my point of view.
Just in case, I also keep previous versions (from 3 & physical dongle), although I am not sure they would still work...

Enjoy your week-end,
Philippe

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:42
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
This might be off the wall.... May 15, 2009

I know this won't address your current configuration issue, Rod, but I wonder if it would not make sense to run Trados in a VMWare window with whatever OS you prefer. In this configuration you could easily back up the configuration and re-install it very, very quickly on any other machine. I haven't updated my VMWare in a while, so I don't think I can test this and I have no time for it now in any case, but I would be very curious about the feasibility. There are other implications I'd rather not think about or mention in public, but smart boys and girls can surely guess them.

Japan
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks all round May 15, 2009

Jabberwock,
I think I have been able in the past to install Trados just using backed up install files.

Philippe,
I probably have backups of the files (up to a point, and not in one place), and I'm relieved to hear that it can be done independently of the SDL site. I'll have to apply myself to assembling the files and testing them. Incidentally, I think people who do clean installs might be wasting their time. I've only done it once after a hardware failure (turned me darn 'puter off at the wall once and killed half the parts), and I've enjoyed very good stability for years nonetheless. It certainly used to be necessary, but probably not now.

Kevin,
I'm not familiar with VMWare, so I'll have to look into that. I think I see what you're getting at nevertheless.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Maintaining a license without upgrading anymore

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search