Tag Editor crashes attempting to open a Powerpoint file - help needed
Thread poster: Cesar Gil

Cesar Gil
Local time: 20:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 15, 2009

Hi,

I am having troubles opening a powerpoint file in Tag Editor. After attempting to open the file, Tag Editor simply crashes. I tried also to open the file in a new project of SDL Trados Synergy to see if it actually works and got the following error:

"The server launched an exception (Exception HRESULT: 0x8001010105 (RPC_E_SERVERFAULT)

I am using Windows Vista SP1, Powerpoint 2003 (.ppt)
No server behind, standalone freelance SDL Trados 2007 Suite
SDL Trados Synergy Ver 8.3.1610
SDL Trados TagEditor 8.3.0.863

I have also downloaded the Trados SP2 and all the patches available at the download area.

I found the information on the forum but the link of the solution in translationzone was not active. I could not find a solution in the translationzone support area.

Can anyone help me to solve this issue?

Best Regards,

Cesar

[Edited at 2009-05-15 17:12 GMT]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-05-15 18:01 GMT]

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 03:30
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
I've been having the same problem recently May 15, 2009

and I've found that saving the presentation as a PPTX (PowerPoint 2007) file helps. You can download Microsoft's Office Compatibility Pack (I think that's what it's called), and it will allow you to open and save in the new format.

Apparently the problem is caused by some links or tags that are not supported in 2007, so they get removed in the conversion.

HTH
Adam

Cesar Gil
Local time: 20:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! May 18, 2009

Adam Łobatiuk wrote:

and I've found that saving the presentation as a PPTX (PowerPoint 2007) file helps. You can download Microsoft's Office Compatibility Pack (I think that's what it's called), and it will allow you to open and save in the new format.

Apparently the problem is caused by some links or tags that are not supported in 2007, so they get removed in the conversion.

HTH
Adam

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your suggestion. You know what? I actually found a HotFix for Powerpoint 2003 in translationzone.com. The error is related with some text boxes not supported by Trados. There are several hotfixes for different errors. Just typing on the search area "Powerpoint hotfixes" and that's all.

Regards

Cesar

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tag Editor crashes attempting to open a Powerpoint file - help needed

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search