Thread poster: Valerijs Svincovs
Valerijs Svincovs
Valerijs Svincovs  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 19:06
English to Latvian
+ ...
May 15, 2009

Hi all! A Trados newbie here. I am using Word 2000 and Translator's Workbench version 7.5.
The problem is that, when I save and close a segment, all Latvian diacritic characters turn into diacritic characters of some other language(s). For example, the Latvian word "maiņā" turns into "maiòâ". I've read discussions about this problems on other forums, but I doubt in this case it could be solved by exporting/importing the TM, as my TM was created from scratch.
The font of the doc
... See more
Hi all! A Trados newbie here. I am using Word 2000 and Translator's Workbench version 7.5.
The problem is that, when I save and close a segment, all Latvian diacritic characters turn into diacritic characters of some other language(s). For example, the Latvian word "maiņā" turns into "maiòâ". I've read discussions about this problems on other forums, but I doubt in this case it could be solved by exporting/importing the TM, as my TM was created from scratch.
The font of the document is Arial.
This problem seems to occur randomly in certain Word files only (but every once in a while I come across this problem), the same TM works fine with many other files.
Besides, when a segment is closed, its font is changed to Times New Roman.
Looking forward for any suggestions,
Valerijs
Collapse

Adam Łobatiuk
Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 18:06
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Hi Valerius May 15, 2009

The problem could be in the Word styles. Try comparing the formatting details of paragraphs where the problem did and did not occur. Also this could help:

http://www.translationmemory.ru/support/faq/911.php?phrase_id=62555

(even though it says it applies to older versions and to Tag Editor).

HTH
Adam

Valerijs Svincovs
Latvia
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Adam! May 15, 2009

So far, my investigation of styles in this document and use of Ctrl+(Spacebar) combination (which I learned today) has led to nothing. I mean, I see no visible changes after pressing it and he problem remains anyway, but I'll give it a more thorough look in the morning, as well as try to follow the instructions provided in your link.
I remember this problem used to come up randomly when we were taught Trados at school, but I don't remember what was the solution to it, if any at all.
... See more
So far, my investigation of styles in this document and use of Ctrl+(Spacebar) combination (which I learned today) has led to nothing. I mean, I see no visible changes after pressing it and he problem remains anyway, but I'll give it a more thorough look in the morning, as well as try to follow the instructions provided in your link.
I remember this problem used to come up randomly when we were taught Trados at school, but I don't remember what was the solution to it, if any at all.
V.
Collapse

Edith Goebel
Edith Goebel  Identity Verified
German to Danish
+ ...
Possible solution May 16, 2009

Copy all text in Word and paste it in MS-Editor (a small program you have on the computer).
This will delete all styles and other formatting.
Now copy all the text from Editor and paste it in a new Word-file.
Compare with the original text and apply formatting. If you use the styles-function, it is quicker. This can be a lot of work, but now Trados will be working.

I had this problem with my last project, Trados replaced the Danish æ ø å with Cyrillic letters.... See more
Copy all text in Word and paste it in MS-Editor (a small program you have on the computer).
Compare with the original text and apply formatting. If you use the styles-function, it is quicker. This can be a lot of work, but now Trados will be working.

I had this problem with my last project, Trados replaced the Danish æ ø å with Cyrillic letters.
Perhaps there is an easier solution, but that is how I did.

Good luck!
Edith
Collapse

Valerijs Svincovs
Latvia
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MS-Editor? May 16, 2009

Edith Goebel wrote:

I had this problem with my last project, Trados replaced the Danish æ ø å with Cyrillic letters.
Perhaps there is an easier solution, but that is how I did.

Good luck!
Edith

Hello Edith!
Could you tell where this program can be found (on Windows XP)?
Valerijs

Edith Goebel
Edith Goebel  Identity Verified
German to Danish
+ ...
Notepad (=Editor) Nov 30, 2009

I'm sorry, I first saw your question now. The program is also called Notepad.

Start - All programs - Assessories - Notepad

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Diacritic characters in Translator's Workbench

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »