Keep Repetitions in TM
Thread poster: newtotrados

newtotrados
Local time: 00:53
May 16, 2009

When i clean RTF or TTX to a new TM, the TM is removing Repetitions. I would like to keep Repetitios in the TM and export to TMX.

I have tried several configuratins with the set up of the TM (Keep multiple translations) and when cleaning but nothing seems to work.

Any ideas.

Thanks

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 01:53
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Repetitions are something else May 16, 2009

Imagine you have a new document to translate that contains sentences: A, B, C, B, D, E, B and so on. Only sentence A is already there in your TM from a previous job.

When you analyse your new document, Trados will count the words in sentence A and report that many 100% matches. It will notice that sentence B is new, but it appears 3 times. The words in B counted for the first time will be No Matches, but in the next 2 instances they will be counted as repetitions.

When you start to translate your document and get to translate B, the remaining instances of B will be now 100% matches, because the translation is already in your TM.

So, at the end of the translation, when you clean your document up, you get a clean translated document + a bilingual file, and update your TM with all the translations. When you analyse your document again, you should normally only have 100% matches.

If, however, your document is untranslated, and you actually want to export repetitions (e.g. to share them with other translators and ensure consistency), you can use the "Export frequent segments" in the Analyse window of TWB.

HTH

newtotrados
Local time: 00:53
TOPIC STARTER
more information May 16, 2009

I think i may have not explained myself correctly.

The unclean rtf files conatin many occurences of the same sentence and i would like all these occurences in seperat TUs in the TM. Basicaly if the RTF file contains 200 sentences (some duplicate sentences), i would like the TM to contain 200 TU's

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 01:53
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
That doesn't seem to be useful May 16, 2009

Trados works by looking sentences (segments) up in a translation memory. So it's sufficient for a segment to only appear once in a TM - every time Trados needs to look it up, it'll find and reuse the same entry in the TM.

However, there are situations where you may need different translations of the same segment, and that's where the multiple translation setup - that you mentioned - is useful. If that's what you need and it doesn't work, Trados allows exporting to 3 TMX formats - maybe not all of them support multiple translations?

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 03:53
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
It is a useful feature May 17, 2009

In Deja Vu X, one can store the same segment several times and it is very useful when used together with the Guaranteed Matches feature.

http://www.atril.com/overview/Guaranteed.asp

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Keep Repetitions in TM

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search