Trados 2009 and INX files
Thread poster: Olav Karlsen

Olav Karlsen
Norway
Local time: 09:29
English to Norwegian
+ ...
May 18, 2009

I attended a webinar a few weeks ago in which it was mentioned that the new version was not compatible with INX files. Is this still the case? Will I have to keep Trados 2007 and use it alongside Trados 2009 as a safeguard in case one of my clients sends me an INX file to translate?
Sincerely,
Olav G. Karlsen

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
SDL Trados Studio 2009 supports InDesign CS2/CS3/CS4 May 18, 2009

Hi Olav,

SDL Trados Studio 2009 definitely supports the translation of Adobe InDesign CS2/CS3/CS4 files via the INX (InDesign Interchange) format. Much like SDL Trados 2007 Suite, you will need to use the following workflow:

1. Use InDesign to export the file in to INX format.
2. Use SDL Trados Studio to translate the INX file.
3. After translation, you can open the INX file in InDesign.

I would also like to mention that SDL is actively developing support for the latest IDML file format for InDesign CS4.

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Why INX instead of INDD? May 18, 2009

Hi Gareth,
would it be possible to develop a filter directly for INDD? As you probably know, every file conversion creates some space for mistakes and e.g. Transit supports INDD files. Their filter is terribly expensive, but it works like a charm.

All the best,

Stanislav

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
RE: Why INX instead of INDD? May 19, 2009

Hello Stanislav,

The INX format is an XML based interchange format designed by Adobe for easier exporting and importing of INDD files. Although it would be easier for the user to directly translate INDD files, SDL Trados software uses the INX interchange format because the user does not require Adobe InDesign CS2 or above installed in order to translate them. As well as this, INX has the following advantages:

1. The INX format reduces the file size, making the files much easier to distribute and also improving process time.

2. The INX format does have some backwards compatibility advantages, making it possible to open an InDesign CS3 file in CS2 with minimal differences.

However, Adobe was aware about missing a well structured file format which can be used for localization (and other things as well) so they recently introduced the IDML format. We are therefore working on a filter to support this format.

I would also like to mention that we are planning to release the SDK for the Filter Framework soon, which I'm sure will be an oppurtunity for the user community.

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2009 and INX files

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search