Help counting words in XML files before translating.
Thread poster: mpazolivares

mpazolivares
Mexico
Local time: 09:46
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 18, 2009

Please I am new with TRADOS and I want to count the words in each XML file I received before starting to translate. How do I do this? The Count Characters from the Tools Button is not the same RIGHT? Because it counts everything including Tags.... O am I wrong?
Thanks a lot!

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 16:46
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Here's how you do it May 18, 2009

Open C:\Program Files\SDL International\T2007_FL\Doc\English\TranslatorsWorkbench_en.pdf.

Read pages 78-80 and 270-273.
Enjoy your analysis!

mpazolivares
Mexico
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your answer May 18, 2009

But I couldn´t find the exact pages you mean... the numeration was different....icon_frown.gif

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
OK, in short May 19, 2009

You need an .ini file with tag settings for your XML files, because they can be very different. Your client should have provided that file, if they asked you to translate XML in Trados.

If you don't have that file, you should ask the client for it, or you could try making your own (in Tag Editor: Tools - Tag settings - New, follow the wizard and import your largest XML file in step 2. Or, if there is a *.dtd file mentioned at the beginning of the XML files, and you can download it, import it instead).

In Trados Translator's Workbench choose Tools - Analyse, load your files into the pane, choose Options - Translation Memory Options - Tools - Tag Settings and select your ini file. Enter your log path and filename.

As you see, this is not very straightforward (mostly because it's XML), so if you're new to Trados, you should really read the Help and the documentation first.

HTH

Michael McCain  Identity Verified
France
Arabic to English
+ ...
Tag Settings button doesn't react when clicked May 19, 2009

When I click on the Tag Settings button in TWB, nothing happens. Anyone else have this problem?

I have Vista, SDL Trados 2007 Pro.

mpazolivares
Mexico
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks... May 19, 2009

Thanks! They gave me the Ini file so I would try it.icon_smile.gif

T F F  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Where I download it? May 22, 2009

Adam Łobatiuk wrote:

If you don't have that file, ... , if there is a *.dtd file mentioned at the beginning of the XML files, and you can download it, import it instead)

Hi Adam,

I'm not sure I understood your post...Is there the chance to build an *.ini file downloading and importing a *.dtd file (indicated at the top of the XML file)?

If so, where I can download such files?

TAV for your answer,
RR

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Creating INI May 23, 2009

Hi Renato,
you can create the INI file yourself. In TWB go to Options > Translation Memory Options > Tools tab and press the "Tag Settings..." button. In the following dialog click "New" and follow the steps of the Tag Settings Wizard. Load the XMLs you have received and then go tag by tag and decide which of the tags shall be treated as external and which as internal ones. Finally, save the INI file and load it into your XML translation project.

T F F  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
...is there a "B" solution? : May 24, 2009

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Hi Renato,
you can create the INI file yourself. In TWB go to Options > Translation Memory Options > Tools tab and press the "Tag Settings..." button. In the following dialog click "New" and follow the steps of the Tag Settings Wizard. Load the XMLs you have received and then go tag by tag and decide which of the tags shall be treated as external and which as internal ones. Finally, save the INI file and load it into your XML translation project.

Hi Stanislav,

I know about this wizard, but - AFAIK - its use implies you have studied or anyway learnt the XML language (same applies to HTML, etc...)
Also, I've been said that XML is generating "new sons" day by day...

That's why the Adam' solution (look at the DTD and download it!) bewitched me!

Am I wrong? Is it something you don't need to have practiced for years? And how long would it take to efficiently learn the INI creation (not just the use of the wizard, I mean)?

Otherwise...Do you know any vendor (freelancer or company), I could eventually ask for the creation of file-tailored INIs?

So many questions...my apologiesicon_smile.gif!
RR

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
INI May 24, 2009

Hi Renato,
you will receive the DTD only if the XML file author takes his/her time to create it along with the XML.
It took me about one hour to learn to create INI files with the Tag Settings wizard. Not really too demanding.
If you want to create an INI file for a specific XML project, please e-mail me at orders(at)preklad.eu. I hope to help you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help counting words in XML files before translating.

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search