Going from Frame to Excel and back to Frame - suggestions needed
Thread poster: linguatecdirect

linguatecdirect
Local time: 09:53
English
May 19, 2009

I've got a client who wants me to pull the text out of a Framemaker document to excel so one of his internal people can do some of the translation. Is there any way for me to go from the mif to ttx to excel then back to ttx? I know it's weird, but he insists on working straight in excel, but we don't want to have to completely reformat because of that.

Again the round trip for this document is FM>MIF>TTX>XLS (he does translation)>TTX (more translation and TM)>MIF>FM

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-05-19 17:45 GMT]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-05-19 17:46 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 15:53
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
I confirm this is weird :) May 19, 2009

Couldn't that person translate in Word instead of Excel? You could produce RTF files instead of TTX, translate them with an empty (or not) TM with "Segment unknown sentences" checked, and just write a short guide for the translators.

linguatecdirect
English
TOPIC STARTER
weird is right May 19, 2009

I probably should clarify with the client WHY they need to be excel. Their translator isn't using any CAT tool at all I don't think. It's one of their engineers, not a real translator. I think they just want to give the guy a simple file where one column is the source and let him fill in the target in another column. I don't know if they think they will then save this file for later use, or what. I think they may be thinking of it as a kind of manual TM.

Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
You need to keep the tags May 19, 2009

There is no way any program could guess where to insert tags in the target language, so you have to keep them.

You could just copy-paste the content of an RTF file into both columns, have the translator overwrite black text in one column, copy the translation back to Word, restore the Trados styles by finding font color and changing it to style, and there's your translated clean file.

I don't think that's any improvement on translating in a segmented RTF file, though.

You could also do an experiment: take an empty TM and a tagged RTF file. Remove all the tags (with wildcards). Segment the file, and clean it up updating the TM. Now use the TM to analyse a copy of the same file with tags. That's what your client should be charged for additionally + about 1 hour.

linguatecdirect
English
TOPIC STARTER
I like that. If I understand it. May 19, 2009

If I do the tag removal, that would mean he'd get copy in excel with no tags to accidentally screw up, then I just use his file to populate the tm, then use the tm on the original tagged file. That's what you mean, eh?

I think that would be the best way to do what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Yes May 20, 2009

But, of course, the final translation in the tagged file will not be automatic - someone will need to insert the tags manually, and that's what you should be paid for extra.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Going from Frame to Excel and back to Frame - suggestions needed

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €415 / $495
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €415 / $495 / £325 / ¥60,000 You will also receive FREE access to our getting started eLearning program!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search