VERY strange TagEditor (mis)behavior
Thread poster: Kevin Fulton

Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:45
German to English
May 19, 2009

System: Windows XP SP-2, Tag Editor 8.3.0.863

I was editing a file from another translator in TagEditor (original file Word 2003) and made a number of changes. I saved the TTX file then used the option "Save target as ...", something I do quite regularly.

TagEditor crashed and I received a message "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Runtime error," plus some other statement that I should contact program support. I looked at the Word file and saw that no changes were made; this was not surprising. I then removed the target file and copied the original source language Word file to the directory. I restarted TagEditor, looked at the ttx file to make sure that the changes I had made were indeed saved. No problem. I saved the TTX file once again.

I then tried to save to the target file again and had a repeat experience. TE crashed and I got the runtime error message again. I looked at the Word file, and astonishingly, there was a translated target file, but it did not contain any of the edits.

Perhaps I made a mistake, I thought, and created a new folder and copied both my TTX file and the source Word document to that folder. I opened the file and verified that it was the source language file. Then I rebooted, under the assumption that perhaps the problem would go away once the computer restarted.

The situation repeated itself. TE crashed, the runtime error message reappeared and the target file was translated, but did not have any of my edits.

In theory this should be impossible. Has anyone else experienced this?
Thanks, Kevin

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 19:45
English to Czech
+ ...
Try TWB > Tools > Clean Up... May 20, 2009

Hi Kevin,
I've never seen this kind of error. Perhaps you could try cleaning the file with TWB and copy the message from the log file into this thread. Perhaps we could be able to help you then.

Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:45
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Log file May 20, 2009

Hi Stanislav,
Here's the message from the log file:
(-2147418113): Unexpected error using plug-in file filter.
File skipped!

Cleanup Total (0 files):

Then there's the statistics about the file, but that doesn't matter, I don't think.

(Later) I should also mention that Workbench froze after attempting to clean the TTX file, and I had to forcibly close it with the Task Manager.

Thanks, Kevin

[Edited at 2009-05-20 13:06 GMT]

David Terhart  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:45
English to German
+ ...

Hi Kevin,

I have searched the forums for "Unexpected error using plug-in" (Exact match). I think this reply might help you:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/110653-_2147418113_unexpected_error_using_plug_in_file_filer.html#902077

If not, try one of the other threads... Soem other people seem to have had the same issue before.

Kind regards,
David

Kevin Fulton wrote:

Hi Stanislav,
Here's the message from the log file:
(-2147418113): Unexpected error using plug-in file filter.
File skipped!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

VERY strange TagEditor (mis)behavior

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search