Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Trados 2009 Early Access Program: Anyone tried it?
Thread poster: Romina Fanzini

Romina Fanzini  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:00
English to Italian
+ ...
May 20, 2009

Hi everybody!

I just wanted to ask you if you got the chance to download the beta version of Trados and Multiterm 2009 (Early Access Program).

I tried to, but I just can't seem to be able to install them! I have the 2007 Freelance version of both programs on my laptop, besides SDLX, I downloaded the beta versions and tried installing them about 15 times without success!! The website says Multiterm 2009 doesn't work if you have 2007 installed, so I just tried Trados, but it kept getting stuck at some point.
I also tried installing them on a different laptop, where there is no SDL program, but I still had the same problem!! I even tried installing Trados Suite 2007 first, as the website gave this opportunity as well, but every time I tried installing that, it gave me an error message saying that the copy was corrupt (I tried to download it again and install it several times, on the two laptops, but still nothing!!!!)!!

Now, I'd really love to try this new release, but at this point I really don't know how I could do it!!

Does any of you have any idea how to do it? Did you have the same problems??

Thanks a lot!

Romina

kimjasper  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
Contact SDL support May 20, 2009

Try using SDL support. They are generally very responsive. I have contacted them a couple of times with minor glitches and use questions, and so far everything is solved or they are on the case.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You must uninstall Multiterm 2007 May 20, 2009

otherwise the Studio will not work.
Please also note, that the installation on a laptop or a PC with slow HDD may take quite a time.

If you are not very fit in using your PC I would strongly advise AGAINST installing unfinished software on your computer. And please bear in mind, that you NEVER should install anything insecure on your production machine.
What you are trying to install is a Release Candidate - so it is still an unfinished version, which may contain some bugs. If you are keen about testing it and are able to do error diagnostics on your PC, which goes far behind some simple settings, then go for it. If you feel comfortable with manipulating the registry, then go for it. But if you do not know how to modify the registry or change Windows settings, then better wait for the final version.

pkb (X)

Local time: 06:00
French to English
Am I really the first? May 20, 2009

Am I really the first person to get Studio 2009 up and running?

It installed itself perfectly, the license/licence pasted perfectly into the program and it is now all systems go. I don't use MultiTerm, so that wasn't a problem.

It takes 60 seconds or more to open, which is double the time taken by WorkBench, but at least it displays a splash screen to say that it is doing something.

It wouldn't upgrade my T2007 memories, for which Trados support is currently trying to find a cure, but I overcame that by exporting my most important memory from T2007 and then importing it into Studio.

The one "feature" that it has that will either reduce my output considerably or cause me to abandon the program is the editing as you translate. It claims "Standard Word text editing functionality is available". It's not.

It uses TagEditor editing functionality, which is horrible and a reason why I charge my clients extra for xls and ppt files.

I have just seen Jerzy's message, which appeared as I was typing this. I didn't need any registry or windows changes; it just installed like a normal program.

Best of luck to everyone who is trying it.

Philip

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
It worked on my side May 20, 2009

I installed both Trados and MultiTerm in a clean Windows 7 RC machine and both installations went through without a glitch.

Daniel

[Edited at 2009-05-20 10:04 GMT]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
RC should install May 20, 2009

but it does not mean "must install".
In my case I had to uninstall MultiTerm 2007 first, as otherwise all Trados programs would not work. And as quite often, I have had to go to Registry and make also some changes in other PC areas, which are usually not accessed by average people.
Now SDL Trados Studio 2009 is working like a charm on my PC.
I've already translated more than 30 thousand words with it.

BTW, what kind of editing functionality from Word do you miss there?

pkb (X)

French to English
Word editing functions missing May 20, 2009

The Word editing functions that I miss (which make me hate TagEditor so much and may mean that I won't use Studio) are:

- "Smart cut and paste." Word inserts spaces when you delete something or paste something. Studio (and TagEditor) joins words together.
- Ctrl UpArrow should take you to the start of the paragraph/segment. It doesn't.
- Shift F3 doesn't change the case of the word.

There are probably more, but those are serious enough.

I played around with the Spell Checker this morning (you can tell I have no work at the moment).

It is much better than the Spell Checker in TagEditor and I suspect that it does now use Word's spell Checker, but there is no way to add words to the dictionary (as in Word) and it doesn't use the exclusion file (in my case ExcludeDictionaryEN0809.lex).

I will, however, use Studio on the next non-urgent job that I get.

Philip

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Shift F3 does work as usual May 20, 2009

Moving aroung in segments is nearly as easy as in Word, you just need to bear in mind, that when you go up or down, you can jump to previous or following segment.
If a shortcut does not fit your needs, change it via the corresponding setting.
And even if there are limitations to the editing functionalities of Studio, it is very good and I would voluntarily not use Word anymore.
The spell checker in Studio does not come from Word, it is Hunspell AFAIK.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
SDL Trados Support... May 20, 2009

Hello Romina,

Your current support agreement entitles you to the Early Access Program. If you are experiencing an issue with installing SDL Trados Studio 2009 or SDL Multiterm 2009 then I highly recommend you log a case on the support portal. One of our support representatives will then contact you back as soon as possible. We will most likely start a remote desktop support session and install the software for you.

Please follow these instructions to log a case on the support portal:

1. Please go to https://oos.sdl.com/asp/products/ssl/account/default.asp
2. Log in to your account
3. Go to the "My Support" section
4. Select SDL Trados Support and choose "Go"
5. Select "Log a case"
6. Please fill in the support form with as much information as you can and then choose "Submit". You case will then be sent to the support team.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

Paul Malone  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Does Studio 2009 still have the AutoText function? May 20, 2009

I was wondering if anyone who has been able to test the program could tell me whether or not Trados Studio 2009 still has the same AutoText function that is available in TagEditor?

Thank you for the info.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Yes - and it can be used for AutoSuggest May 20, 2009

I did not test this particualr function, but it is definitely there.
Works same way as in TE, however, if AutoSuggest is set up you only need to start typing and it brings you suggestions, so I did not feel the necessity to create Autotext for now.

France
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Thanks Jerzy! May 20, 2009

I use the AutoText function a lot and it helps me work more quickly.

I suspect the AutoSuggest function will be quicker once I've got used to using it, but I was worried about having to make big changes to my working habits overnight. The risk would be a temporary reduction in productivity!

I'm reassured to know that the AutoText function is still available.

Thank you Jerzy and best regards,

Paul

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Autosuggest... May 20, 2009

Hi Paul,

Yes, the Autotext function is still available in SDL Trados Studio 2009. It has been merged with the Autosuggest function, so it will appear in the autosuggest dialog box if a match is found during your translation.

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

France
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Thanks Gareth! May 20, 2009

Hi Gareth,

That's good news, thank you.

I'm looking forward to the launch.

Best regards,
Paul

Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
German to English
I tried to get it May 21, 2009

but couldn't find the download files. Then I got busy so it will have to wait until I'm not.
Gillian

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2009 Early Access Program: Anyone tried it?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search