Thread poster: Arvind Raman

Arvind Raman
Singapore
Member (2008)
German to English
+ ...
May 21, 2009

Hello,

I am using SDL trados 2007. I am currently translating in word document. I am not sure what happened and small tags are visible. Not sure what they are and how to get rid of them i tried undo but does not work also tried the option Fix document but nothing happns. Can somebody please help?

e.g.

(0> word ............................... its all over the pages

Regards
Arvind

Fazil Aktekin
Turkey
Local time: 17:58
English to Turkish
+ ...
Use CTRL+SHIFT+* May 21, 2009

It's related to "formatting symbols" in Word 2003. It arises generally when closing a target segment because of some mis-tagging issues.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:58
English
Try this... May 21, 2009

Hi Arvind,

It seems that the hidden text has been enabled, displaying the source text and opening and closing tags. Try pressing Ctrl + Shift + 8 on your keyboard to disable hidden text in your Word document.

If this doesn't work then try disabling the hidden text manually by going to Tools > Options > select the View tab > disable the "Hidden Text" option under the Formatting marks section.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

[Edited at 2009-05-21 09:05 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Get training in Trados May 21, 2009

Trados is an industrial-strength tool. I sincerely encourage you to get some training on the use of the tool, as this will save you lots of worries and time and will help you make the most of it. Good luck!

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:58
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Watch out! Read the manuals, for God's sake! May 21, 2009

Please, please, if you cannot afford formal training, at least read the manuals thoroughly, several times; practice with some old documents, etc. TRADOS is very useful but it is also a complex and complicated application not to be taken lightly.

What you described as "small tags" that you could not "get rid of" is the most important factor and the foundation of TRADOS. You will find yourself in deep water if you ever mess with them. They are so important, so significant and so essential that many translators prefer translating with the Hidden Text option activated so the tags don't get accidentally removed or affected.

Arvind Raman
Singapore
Member (2008)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 21, 2009

Hello All,

Thanks a lot for the inputs guys. Appreciate it. Didnt get enough time to go through as started receiving projects like crazy. Earlier i used to refuse projects from regular clients as well coz i was not having trados, but cant afford to do that anymore.. crunch times.. But will surely find out time to go through.. and hope can help some new users out in the near futureicon_wink.gif

Cheers

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Seconded!!! May 22, 2009

Luisa Ramos wrote:

Please, please, if you cannot afford formal training, at least read the manuals thoroughly, several times; practice with some old documents, etc. TRADOS is very useful but it is also a complex and complicated application not to be taken lightly.

What you described as "small tags" that you could not "get rid of" is the most important factor and the foundation of TRADOS. You will find yourself in deep water if you ever mess with them. They are so important, so significant and so essential that many translators prefer translating with the Hidden Text option activated so the tags don't get accidentally removed or affected.

Why do all people just receive Trados and start working with it? Why don't they have a peek into the manuals to learn more about the basic concept of the program (or rather suite of programs)?

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It's crazy.... May 22, 2009

Arvind Raman wrote:
Thanks a lot for the inputs guys. Appreciate it. Didnt get enough time to go through as started receiving projects like crazy.

OK, but please make sure you learn about how to use the tool (it will take you 3-4 hours to get started) before you mess things up and the customers get crazy... and stop calling...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tags

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search