Thread poster: Sheridan Green
Sheridan Green
Sheridan Green  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:39
Portuguese to English
+ ...
May 22, 2009

I am new to this site, and I'm not a computer programming genius. I was sent a file from a lady to translate, and first of all I couldn't figure out how to decompress it on my Mac (I had to dust off an old PC). Now I have it decompressed and I have been trying for two days to find some kind of program that will actually open it. There are two files: a .ttx file and a .tmw file. I've been all over the forums trying to figure out what to do. PlusToyz wouldn't work on my Mac and I can't get Swordfi... See more
I am new to this site, and I'm not a computer programming genius. I was sent a file from a lady to translate, and first of all I couldn't figure out how to decompress it on my Mac (I had to dust off an old PC). Now I have it decompressed and I have been trying for two days to find some kind of program that will actually open it. There are two files: a .ttx file and a .tmw file. I've been all over the forums trying to figure out what to do. PlusToyz wouldn't work on my Mac and I can't get Swordfish to open it either. Any ideas?Collapse

Yeti_fr
Yeti_fr
Local time: 10:39
English to French
Trados files May 22, 2009

The .ttx file is the file you need to translate and the .tmw file is the translation memory file. Those files are normally opened with SDL Trados: http://www.translationzone.com/ but I think there are other cheaper software allowing you to work with .ttx files

Paul Malone
Paul Malone  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:39
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
These are Trados files May 22, 2009

Hi Sheridan,

You have received Trados files. The .ttx file is a Trados TagEditor file and the .tmw is a Trados Workbench translation memory (TM) file.

I don't think you'll be able to do the translation unless you have SDL Trados installed on one of your machines.

Maybe you should ask your client if she can send you the file to translate in a different format?

Hope this helps.

Good luck,
Paul

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:39
English to French
A tmw file alone is not enough for a TM May 22, 2009

You also need an iix, mtf and mdf file with the same name as the tmw file.
I also suggest that you get in touch with your customer and explain that you don't own SDL Trados.

Good luck,
Philippe

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:39
English to Spanish
Convert to XLIFF and translate in Swordfish. May 23, 2009

Sheridan Green wrote:
There are two files: a .ttx file and a .tmw file. I've been all over the forums trying to figure out what to do. PlusToyz wouldn't work on my Mac and I can't get Swordfish to open it either. Any ideas?

TTX files can be translated easily with Swordfish.

You don't "open" a TTX file with Swordfish, you convert it to XLIFF, translate the XLIFF and then convert it back to TTX.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Sheridan Green
Sheridan Green  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:39
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Swordfish May 26, 2009

Okay, maybe you can help me with this: when I try to convert it with Swordfish, it gives me an error message that says "Invalid XML character was found in the element content of the document." What does that mean? Is it a problem on my end, or is it a problem with the document file itself?

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:39
English to Spanish
Faulty XML May 26, 2009

Sheridan Green wrote:

Okay, maybe you can help me with this: when I try to convert it with Swordfish, it gives me an error message that says "Invalid XML character was found in the element content of the document." What does that mean? Is it a problem on my end, or is it a problem with the document file itself?

Hi,

That means that you have a faulty XML file. This problem can be fixed easily.

Open the TMXValidator plugin shipped with Swordfish (see Plugin menu) and select the "Clean Invalid Characters" options in File menu.

Whan asked to select a file, choose the XML file you want to translate. All invalid characters will be removed.

After cleaning the file, you should be able to convert to XLIFF for translating.

Hope this helps,
Rodolfo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

.ttx and .ttw

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »