Annett Hieber
Annett Hieber  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:35
English to German
+ ...
May 23, 2009

Hi All,

As I'm a newbie to SDLX I would really appreciate your help. I tried it by myself, but failed so far. I need some guidance in order to start translating. What I have:

a) 4 (zipped) ITD-files ready for translation
b) a TM (win-zipped, Microsoft Access format)
c) an excel-termbase (which I converted to a csv-file according to an older thread I found here)
d) 1 MIF-file (don't know what's that)

I tried to start a new project, but fail
... See more
Hi All,

As I'm a newbie to SDLX I would really appreciate your help. I tried it by myself, but failed so far. I need some guidance in order to start translating. What I have:

a) 4 (zipped) ITD-files ready for translation
b) a TM (win-zipped, Microsoft Access format)
c) an excel-termbase (which I converted to a csv-file according to an older thread I found here)
d) 1 MIF-file (don't know what's that)

I tried to start a new project, but failed to add the source files. I imported the TM which worked. I failed to import the termbase with the termbase import wizard.

Any help as to how to proceed with a new project would be very much appreciated!

Annett
Collapse

Annelise Meyer
Annelise Meyer  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
No need to re-create a project May 23, 2009

Hi Annett,

you don't need to use the wizard and create a project, because you already have waht seems to be translation files (itd format) and an SDLX TM (a special mdb format file that you won't be able to open with Access).
If SDLX is installed on your computer, all you have to do is open the files and the TM. To do this, you can either:
- double-click on the unzipped ITD files
- if your system does not open them directly in SDLX, open SDLX, then choose Edit on t
... See more
Hi Annett,

you don't need to use the wizard and create a project, because you already have waht seems to be translation files (itd format) and an SDLX TM (a special mdb format file that you won't be able to open with Access).
If SDLX is installed on your computer, all you have to do is open the files and the TM. To do this, you can either:
- if your system does not open them directly in SDLX, open SDLX, then choose Edit on the switchboard. Once in the Edit module, click File>Open, and get the first itd file to open it.

To open the TM then, always in SDLX Edit, click TM>Open and go look for it (it must also be unzipped of course).
Once this is done, I would recommend you read the SDLX quick start guide so as to know how the program works: it is very easy to use, but it is best to have tricks for a start.

Now regarding the other files, I don't really see the point in converting an excel termbase into csv format. If it's not too messy, you could also convert it into a TM, but since you're a newbie, I would advise you not to make things more difficult right away and to simply use the search function in it. As for the MIF file, I guess t must be the source file...? Did you manage to open it? If not, it should be possible to find a free viewer on the Internet to see them.

Hope this solves your problem...
Annelise
Collapse

Annett Hieber
Annett Hieber  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot! May 23, 2009

Annelise Meyer wrote:

Hi Annett,

- if your system does not open them directly in SDLX, open SDLX, then choose Edit on the switchboard. Once in the Edit module, click File>Open, and get the first itd file to open it.

To open the TM then, always in SDLX Edit, click TM>Open and go look for it (it must also be unzipped of course).
Once this is done, I would recommend you read the SDLX quick start guide so as to know how the program works: it is very easy to use, but it is best to have tricks for a start.

Now regarding the other files, I don't really see the point in converting an excel termbase into csv format. If it's not too messy, you could also convert it into a TM, but since you're a newbie, I would advise you not to make things more difficult right away and to simply use the search function in it. As for the MIF file, I guess t must be the source file...? Did you manage to open it? If not, it should be possible to find a free viewer on the Internet to see them.

Hope this solves your problem...
Annelise

Dear Annelise,

Thank you for your prompt help!!! That got me going - I'm just doing it as you described!

Have a nice weekend!
Annett

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Urgent help with SDLX required - new project

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »