What if having STUDIO 2009 in the LAN and SUITE 2007 out there in the Internet?
Thread poster: T F F

T F F  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 13:01
English to Italian
May 23, 2009

Hi all,

I am thinking at the revolutionary move made by SDL Trados.

If I'm not wrong, the *.TTX format has actually started its walk over the "green mile".
It's quite sad for me, since I have spent so many long nights to acquaint with it, and now that I could say we are finally friend...Well, it hurts, but show must go on!

Doesn't matter! I'm sure that the new *.SDLXLIFF will honor all of its very interesting promises.
Once all of the 170,000 (or more) Trados users will have turned to STUDIO, magic things will surely happen...The LSP will assemble projects into instantly made packages, and the freelancers will have everything opened on their desktop like lightning!
All automatic! All error-free! All immediate!...Better quality, more productivity, better life quality for all of the stakeholders (LSP, Freelance, Client)...This is definitely what a "Progress" looks like!

But...Is it me or there is no space at all for an interregnum scenario?
It seems to me that STUDIO 2009 and SUITE 2007 workflows are parallel lines.
I mean, since the STUDIO 2009 PMs couldn't create "ttx project packages", how will they send out and receive materials to/from their current vendors (which are widely Tag Editor users)?
I have read (http://localizationlocalisation.wordpress.com/2009/05/15/sdl-guinness-trados-studio-2009-qa): "The only alternative is to provide TMX translation memories and not to pre-translate the deliverables"...But if so, I lose the gain I got from the smart STUDIO technology!
If a PM has to rework the materials previously assembled into a STUDIO 2009 project each time the files go in and out the company...If the translators cannot benefit from all of the many new & enhanced features of STUDIO...If the translator could, but the reviewer couldn't...

Briefly: if the freelancers I would like to assign the job to cannot open & enjoy the package...Why have I (as PM) spent money and time creating it?
I'm sure I'm missing something, and you PROZ will make me understand exactly what...
...I refuse the idea that SDL TRADOS have organized their campaign based on the idea
"nobody will resist my product and it will be sold out tomorrow...So no worry about the interregnum!"

It cannot be this way...So thanks in advance for sharing your opinion
and - of course - my apologies for the long post!
RR

[Modificato alle 2009-05-23 16:11 GMT]

kimjasper  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
Outsourcers are key to the speed of transition May 23, 2009

Hi Renato,

Your questions are extremely valuable. I think it would be great if SDL could respond to this and include it in their Trados Studio FAQ.
Judging from the amount of posts here at proz.com about problems using very old SDLX and Trados versions, and judging from the amount of users who think it is better spending unproductive hours and days rather than subscribing to support from SDL, there may be a long way to go until we reach your all-Studio-and-nothing-but scenario.

You outsourcers play a key role here. I hope my outsourcer clients will use all their motivational skills to convince their freelance suppliers to make the shift as soon as possible.

One way could be to differentiate rates - due to the productivity gains it is more profitable for an outsourcer working with Studio users rather than backlevel users. Make sure that the suppliers are aware of the options and the benefits, point to where to get more information, ensure they understand that a support licence gives them a free version upgrade, give them all the support they need, etcetera etcetra. And why not pay suppliers with current versions a higher fee - or pay backlevel suppliers a lower fee - or both?

A translator on an old Trados release is not necessarily a bad translator. But I am quite sure that the same translator is a better translator if (s)he stays current with regards to releases than if (s)he does not.

Kim

julienwp
France
English to French
Information still unclear May 24, 2009

Hi there,

Take a look at http://ideas.sdl.com/ideas/detail.asp?i=541&q=network

I guess this doesn't mean freelancers will be able to run more than 1 copy of Studio on a network (this feature is for Pro version)... Maybe SDL Studio 2009 will allow 2007 Suite only...

Just my two cents.

Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 14:01
English to Hebrew
+ ...
I'm considering leaving SDL Trados May 24, 2009

Because they try to force their customers to use the product, on which the customer paid a considerable amount of money, the way they want.

The "one freelance license per LAN" is only one example for their bully-like behavior.

Now on purpose they make the new SDL Trados not backward compatible, in order to force the freelance translators to purchase the new version.

Although I only recently bought the 2007 suite, I'm starting to check other TM tools in order to replace SDL Trados in the future.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Your decision, but... May 24, 2009

Yossi,
What software you use is entirely your decision. But the reasons you give are not convincing.

Because they try to force their customers to use the product, on which the customer paid a considerable amount of money, the way they want.

The "one freelance license per LAN" is only one example for their bully-like behavior.

Admittedly, that was not a smart move - but there has always been a way to use several licences in the same network.

Now on purpose they make the new SDL Trados not backward compatible, in order to force the freelance translators to purchase the new version.

Now that's nonsense - the 2009 version has a completely different TM engine and file format. If the new features enabled by the new platform aren't worth upgrading to you - don't buy it. As simple as that.

Regards,
Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What if having STUDIO 2009 in the LAN and SUITE 2007 out there in the Internet?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search