How do you keep your Trados TMs organized?
Thread poster: Claudia Alvis

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 19:20
Spanish
+ ...
May 23, 2009

I keep a single TM for each specific client and I keep them in a separate sub-folder; that way, I can easily find them when I start working on a new project. For instance, Agency A [my client] > Client B [their client]>TM.

I also use the Project and Filter settings because I can specify the sub-languages, topics, etc., and once I'm done with the translation, I can dump those TMs in a larger, topic-specific TM. I also dump those topic-specific TMs in a much larger Global TM. Using filter penalties is also extremely useful, specially with those short translations that don't require their own TM.

But sometimes I feel that I'm over-doing it or that I'm not being as efficient as I could. So I'd like to read how other people keep their TMs organized.

Claudia

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:20
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Yes, at the moment specific TMs plus a large TM May 24, 2009

Hello Claudia,

This topic came up not so long ago.

I find it essential to have separate TMs for different clients, for invoicing purposes, in order not to inadvertently credit a client with too many matches. When I am sent a new document for a particular client, I have to be able to run an analysis against work done for that client only.

However, I need to work with the global TM - and not just as a reference TM, but as the main TM.

The basis for the way in which I work is due to a local firm of lawyers, which is a fairly major client. They send me translations to do for various different clients of theirs. Firstly, I only want to credit the matches when the same end client gets the invoice. Secondly, the lawyers send me similar documents to translate for different clients. Just as a small example, if I were sent a power of attorney to translate for one client of theirs it would have quite a lot in common with a power of attorney for another client of theirs, because they base it on the same template. However, just as they will use a template in such a case, but invoice the full price to different clients of theirs, I also want to invoice the full price to the different clients of theirs. Nevertheless, I want the matches to come up from the last power of attorney, so I have to work using the global TM.

However, if they send me a document to translate for a particular client of theirs, and subsequently a revised edition of the same document, naturally I want to be able to deduct the matches. If I run the analysis against the global TM the matches will probably be - at least marginally - a bit too high, and I will then be charging slightly less than I should. This will generally only concern fuzzy matches, not exact matches.

To maintain this system, of course I have to do a fair amount of importing and exporting, i.e. I need to keep two copies of everything.

A further complication is that my global TM is - of necessity - set to accept multiple translations for the same source segment. This has a detrimental effect on the overall quality of the TM, since both the initial and final versions of the same segment are saved. Therefore, it is only possible to have perfect - or near perfect - quality in the individual TMs, after exporting the final version from the global TM into the individual TM. The individual TMs have the default setting, of only accepting one translation per source segment.

My aim in the way I organise my TMs is to be fair to both myself and the client.

Astrid

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do you keep your Trados TMs organized?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search