Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Trados Studio 2009 memory import settings
Thread poster: Edric Barbosa Filho
Edric Barbosa Filho
Edric Barbosa Filho
Local time: 05:46
English to Portuguese
May 24, 2009

This post is for people already experimenting with Studio 2009, Beta or RC.

I am currently trying Studio 2009 and could not find where I can configure memory imports with the options "leave unchanged", "overwrite" etc. for existing TUs.

Tried the filters, but could not find an appropriate one.

Any ideas?

Tks

Edric

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:46
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
There is no such option May 24, 2009

Because the new multiple TM access makes that superfluous.
Instead of creating and importing TMs just use more TMs at once.

Edric Barbosa Filho
Edric Barbosa Filho
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Please elaborate: I am replacing, not adding TUs May 24, 2009

Jerzy, I really cannot understand that. Would you please enlighten me?

I import memories corresponding to upgraded text. For example, I have a big software-related memory and, from time to time, I receive updates to replace some existing TUs. Those updates are a subset of the BIG ONE, same source, diff target.

As you say (Trados also), I open the big one AND the new one: how Trados will know which same-source TU is the one that should be applied? I don't want the BIG A
... See more
Jerzy, I really cannot understand that. Would you please enlighten me?

I import memories corresponding to upgraded text. For example, I have a big software-related memory and, from time to time, I receive updates to replace some existing TUs. Those updates are a subset of the BIG ONE, same source, diff target.

As you say (Trados also), I open the big one AND the new one: how Trados will know which same-source TU is the one that should be applied? I don't want the BIG AND the smalls: I just want a corrected BIG.

I guess that feature applies to incremental updates to memory (BIG+smalls=correct general memory), not correction updates (BIG corrected by smalls =BIG).

Tks

Edric

[Edited at 2009-05-24 23:39 GMT]
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Again: there is no possibility to overwrite entries May 25, 2009

Please go to http://ideas.sdl.com and post that as an idea.
Currently I was told, that the old settings were not continued, as they were too complicated (not exactly the wording, but the meaning of the message).
But in your case using multiple TMs is not an option, so you indeed need to overwrite.
Please place the idea and send me the link to it via my profile. I'll support it.

Best... See more
Currently I was told, that the old settings were not continued, as they were too complicated (not exactly the wording, but the meaning of the message).
But in your case using multiple TMs is not an option, so you indeed need to overwrite.
Please place the idea and send me the link to it via my profile. I'll support it.

Best
Jerzy
Collapse

Edric Barbosa Filho
Edric Barbosa Filho
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Just posted the "Idea", waiting approval May 25, 2009

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Best
Jerzy

Just did it:

"When updating a translation memory with another memory with same source text, but altered target, it is absolutely necessary to have the option "leave unchanged" and "overwrite" for existing translation units. This absolutely important for software localization!

I receive updated subsets of software memories that MUST replace the ones already existing. The client expects me to update the "basic", big memory, with the recently updated translations, and I need to import them using "overwrite". Similarly, when I receive a subset that I don't trust absolutely but I know it has new translation units, I need to import using "leave unchanged", to add just what is new, discarding any existing but unreliable targets. "

Funny no one has thought about it, apparently: for software localization, where you receive updates applied to existing memories, those options are a must!!!!

Rgds

Edric

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I've already asked for that May 26, 2009

and got the quoted answer.
But obviously I wasn't informed enough to pursue the case further and also was in hurry (preparation for holiday), so I did not follow the case anymore.
You are completly right - those options are necessary.
Already voted for it.

Edric Barbosa Filho
Edric Barbosa Filho
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
A feature fundamental to software localizers... May 26, 2009

Thank you, Jerzy. I have already purchased the upgrade to Studio 2009, but will keep 2007 until that problem is solved.

My guess is that they have to get return to the investment ASAP, and those snags will be solved along the software life cycle.

Nevertheless, not having that feature is the best way to ruin a perfect memory with just an import... "What's that? A string we replaced three years ago????". No more jobs to the unaware......
See more
Thank you, Jerzy. I have already purchased the upgrade to Studio 2009, but will keep 2007 until that problem is solved.

My guess is that they have to get return to the investment ASAP, and those snags will be solved along the software life cycle.

Nevertheless, not having that feature is the best way to ruin a perfect memory with just an import... "What's that? A string we replaced three years ago????". No more jobs to the unaware...

Rgds

Edric
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 03:46
Spanish
+ ...
Link May 26, 2009

Jerzy or Eric,

Can you post the link to that idea? I would like to vote for it too but I can't find it.

Thanks.

Edric Barbosa Filho
Edric Barbosa Filho
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Here's it May 26, 2009

Claudia Alvis wrote:

Jerzy or Eric,

Can you post the link to that idea? I would like to vote for it too but I can't find it.

Thanks.

It's here:

http://ideas.sdl.com/ideas/detail.asp?i=2198

Rgds

Edric

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Voila May 26, 2009

A wonderfull idea.

Edric Barbosa Filho
Edric Barbosa Filho
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
I liked the link title... May 26, 2009

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

A wonderfull idea.

A warm reference...

Claudia Alvis
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
Thank you both May 26, 2009

Vote casted.

Edric Barbosa Filho
Edric Barbosa Filho
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
The "General Import Options" window is the place... May 27, 2009

When I see the "General Import Options" window in Studio 2009 with just "import as plain text", "exclude lang variants" and "export invalid TUs" options I wonder why those fundamental features were not included... Don't they ever localize software with long life cycles????

Like a powerful and beautiful car which can only use aviation fuel in a city without an airport...

Hope the smart guys at SDL consider that...

Edric

Claudia Alvis
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
Duplicates with confirmed segments May 31, 2009

Edric, it seems that editing confirmed segments also creates duplicates. I created a thread about it: http://spedr.com/5qqs5

Edric Barbosa Filho
Edric Barbosa Filho
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Trados 2007 "Sweet" Freelance... Jun 1, 2009

Those apparently "little annoying things" are reason enough to keep on using Trados 2007 if they are not fixed in Studio 2009: edited TU duplication, no overwrite and keep unchanged for existing TUs when importing, no 64-bit OS support...

Trados Suite Freelance 2007 works great under my Vista 64-bit AND Windows 7 RC 64-bit... It deserves being called the 2007 "Sweet" Freelance

That edited TU duplication
... See more
Those apparently "little annoying things" are reason enough to keep on using Trados 2007 if they are not fixed in Studio 2009: edited TU duplication, no overwrite and keep unchanged for existing TUs when importing, no 64-bit OS support...

Trados Suite Freelance 2007 works great under my Vista 64-bit AND Windows 7 RC 64-bit... It deserves being called the 2007 "Sweet" Freelance

That edited TU duplication seems more like a software bug...

Cheers

Edric

[Edited at 2009-06-01 01:49 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2009 memory import settings

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »