Which Word features give you trouble in Trados Workbench?
Thread poster: Jan Sundström

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 23:45
English to Swedish
+ ...
May 25, 2009

Hi all,

I'm planning to write a script that will catch any problematic features in a Word document.

My idea is to list all objects and special formatting that Trados Workbench might stumble on, or that are easy to mess up when using TWB, so that I'd know when to use TagEditor instead.

This would be good to know when forwarding documents to other translators who use TWB by default (never bothered to learn TagEditor or are intimidated by the UI).

So I'm asking for your input to list all and any features that ever gave you headache in Trados.
It could be for instance:
embedded tables from Excel
Table Of Content/index
headers and footers
comments
tracked changes

I'm sure there's plenty more. Let's hear it!

/J

Direct link Reply with quote

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:45
English to French
+ ...
Page breaks May 25, 2009

Sometimes, people insert page breaks right after the last character of a line, without first inserting a line break - it bugs the hell out of me! All Workbench can say in such circumstances is 'Sorry no compute'.

Anne Bohy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
hyperlinks May 25, 2009

URLs or email addresses inserted as links in the document make Trados stumble.
I have tried Word AND TagEditor, both fail.
Sometimes, font changes (hard-coded in the text, I suppose) are not handled correctly.
I have also stumbled into the page break problem (see previous post), recently.

Of course, "Track changes" mode is not allowed, but I once had a problem with a document where Trados was still complaining after I turned it off, and refusing to work.

Your idea is GREAT!!! This is exactly the tool I need. There is a huge problem there, and it looks like neither Trados nor Word updates solve it. I've been trying to explain a customer what was causing problems, but they don't make any effort either.

I would like a 2-level tool : one which simply warns, and another one which cleans (like replacing all hyperlinks by plain text, or suppressing all page breaks, etc.).

Wendy Cummings  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:45
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
a few May 25, 2009

Here are a few that annoy me - hope they are the sort of thing you're looking for.

- Headers and footers. The clean up doesn´t catch them
- Footnotes - although Trados normally works fine, it can sometimes have problems (if more than one Word window open, if you accidentally close the pop-up window instead of letting Trados close it)
- Whole underlined segments - unlike bold and italic, Trados doesn't seem to like copying this particular format
- Tables with merged cells.
- Tables with rows that have a fixed row height. When the segment is open, you often have to readjust the row height in order to be able to see it all.

HTH.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
More May 26, 2009

Features that create unnecessary tags:

• Hyphenation marks
  • Kerning variations
  • Inter-word spacing variations
  • Blank spaces with a different font than the text surrounding them
  • Tabtabtabtabtabtabtab indentations (and blankblankblankblankblank)

That's all I can come up with for now.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:45
English to French
+ ...
If somebody could fix that... May 27, 2009

Wendy Leech wrote:

- Tables with rows that have a fixed row height. When the segment is open, you often have to readjust the row height in order to be able to see it all.

Yup, getting rid of this annoyance would be more than good riddance.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which Word features give you trouble in Trados Workbench?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search