keeping format in internal and external tags in Workbench
Thread poster: Laerte da Silva

Laerte da Silva  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:01
English to Portuguese
+ ...
May 25, 2009

How do I stop Workbench from changing super and subscript formats when setting internal and external tags or how do I set it to automatically skip text in parentheses (without losing format)?

Txs!

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 13:01
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
This is a very interesting problem May 25, 2009

I think you could use Search and Replace with wildcards before and after translation.

For example, in the Find box in Word just select the superscript format (click More, go to Format > Font > Superscript) and don't enter anything. In the Replace with box, enter e.g. +++^&+++ (this will create strings that begin and end with +++ and keep the original content inbetween). Similarly, for subscript text, replace it with ---^&---. Now apply the styles to those strings. After the translation, you can replace strings (---)(*)(---) with \2 with the subscript format in the Replace with box and (+++)(*)(+++) with \2 superscript (using wildcards).

Hope that helps.

Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
using wildcard search and replaceot May 25, 2009

Hi Adam,

I might do that, but I´d rather find a way Workbench did not meddle with formats at all.

Thanks anyway.

Laerte

Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Details? May 25, 2009

Laerte da Silva wrote:

How do I stop Workbench from changing super and subscript formats when setting internal and external tags or how do I set it to automatically skip text in parentheses (without losing format)?

Txs!

Could you be more specific? Internal and external styles will always override other styles, that's the nature of character styles...

Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
formating details May 25, 2009

What I have im mind is italics in scientific paper references and italics, superscript, and subscricpt fonts elsewhere in scientific papers such as in chemical and mathematics formula, all non-translatable texts.

Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
You want to make it external and keep formatting? May 25, 2009

Laerte da Silva wrote:

What I have im mind is italics in scientific paper references and italics, superscript, and subscricpt fonts elsewhere in scientific papers such as in chemical and mathematics formula, all non-translatable texts.

Do you want to make them internal/external and keep formatting? That's mission impossible. Both internal and external style will override your current formatting, and the information regarding original format is gone.

Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
limit the changes May 25, 2009

There may be a way to limit the changes and prevent changing italics and super- and subscripts.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

keeping format in internal and external tags in Workbench

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search