Change source to target, target to source
Thread poster: humbird
May 25, 2009

I have done a large translation, but to my horror, I have done so only to realize I have used wrong TM. This was wrong because it was in wrong language direction.
Of course I should have created new TM with right source/target language combination in the first place but it's too late now.icon_frown.gif

Can I rectify this situation, namely switch the direction of source and target, if so how?
Can I import the first TM to newly created TM with right language direction, then how?

Or else, so I can go over these .ttx files to modify, self-edit certain terms and expressions throughout?

Please be less technical in your answer (I know begger is not a chooser, but ......)icon_razz.gif (this is supposedly a very sheepish smile).

Your help is greatly appreicated.

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:44
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
More details, please May 25, 2009

Just so we would be able to give you the simplest and easiest solution, could you please clarify a few things?
1. Did you work in Workbench or Tageditor? Which version?
2. What is the format of your source file (.doc, .ttx etc?)
3. Did you start with (A) an empty TM with the wrong language direction so now the TM only contains your current translations (in the wrong direction) or (B) did you use a TM that already had some entries in it in the correct direction and therefore now you have a TM with mixed directional entries?

Katalin

Zoe Adams Green  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 00:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
Several ways May 25, 2009

Is the TM just for you or for a client? If it's just for you, you can just export all the segments from the old memory (doing a date search if necessary to exclude earlier segments where the source and target are correct), create a new memory with the correct source and target, and import the file into it. And live with the fact that the language indicators/flags are incorrect.

If it's for a client, you can either use WinAlign (check the segments carefully to make sure they're aligned properly though) or I guess you could do a search and replace on the language codes in the export file, and then import the export file back into a new memory with the correct source and target language. I've never tried that but can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work if done carefully.

Maybe someone else can think of a better way, but those are the solutions that occur to me off the top of my head.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Very simple May 25, 2009

Create a new TM with the correct language pair and use it to clean up your translated file. This will fill the new TM with your translation.

humbird
TOPIC STARTER
Answer May 25, 2009

Thank you Katalin,
Please see your mail body for my answers.

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:

Just so we would be able to give you the simplest and easiest solution, could you please clarify a few things?
1. Did you work in Workbench or Tageditor? Which version?
Tageditor 8.0.0.826, part of SDL Trados 2007
2. What is the format of your source file (.doc, .ttx etc?)
.ppt turned into Tageditor format. PPT file is attached, but never touched.
3. Did you start with (A) an empty TM with the wrong language direction so now the TM only contains your current translations (in the wrong direction) or (B) did you use a TM that already had some entries in it in the correct direction and therefore now you have a TM with mixed directional entries?
(B) however sadly to me, in the **wrong** direction.
It is not mixed entry, it is strictly in the wrong direction .. sigh!

Katalin

Katja Althoff (X)
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Create new TM - Cleanup your files or import old TM May 26, 2009

Correcting the language pair with Trados 2007 is quite easy as Stanislav already said. Just create a new TM and make sure the language pair is correct. Then clean your translated files into this TM.

(You can also export the contents of your old TM to a TXT file and then import this TXT into a new TM with the correct languages.)

The new TM will contain your translated segments in the correct language directionicon_smile.gif

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Change source to target, target to source

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search