Can't clean a 16 353 Ko Word file in Trados
Thread poster: xxxSerena Warlu

xxxSerena Warlu  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:25
French to English
May 26, 2009

I am having a bit of a nightmare.

I have just started working with a new agency and I'm having a lot of problems with their files. They have provided pre-translated files where the 100% segments have already been translated. This is an update of a large existing document and they don't want to pay for the parts that haven't been changed.

My problem is that the file is so big I can't clean using with Translators Workbench even before I start translating it. There are lots of photos amongst the text.

In the past I would delete the photos from the original text, translate, cleanup, and then re-insert the photos. Is there another way around the problem so that the unclean document I return the would have the photos too?

Serena

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Wordfast? May 26, 2009

Even if it works, it is just a quick-and-dirty method, but as a one-off solution it may be the simplest: try to clean up the file with Wordfast; even the trial version can do that (in that case the TM won't be updated). The whole process (downloading and installing WF, plus cleaning the file) should not take more than 15 minutes.
Attila

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Try exporting "unknown segments" and auto-translating May 26, 2009

I assume they gave you their TM as well? You can analyse the file with it, and once the analysis is complete, you can use the Export unknown segments button, set the percentage at 99%, and save the export file as RTF. After you translate the export file, you'll have an updated TM which you can use to auto-translate the document at 100%.

Not a perfect solution, and you'll have to review your translation in the final bilingual file more carefully, but it could work.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Any error message? May 26, 2009

Hi Serena,
is there any error message you keep receiving? I would advise translating such files in TagEditor, although I know this is not your choice here. Translating large documents with lots of embedded images directly in Word only points to the PM's INcompetence.

[Upraveno: 2009-05-26 16:56 GMT]

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Office 2007 grrrrr! May 26, 2009

Attila,
I downloaded Wordfast but you need to deactivate the security to allow macros. Unfortunately I have Word 2007. The instructions are for Word 97-2003. There isn't a "tools" menu so I need to hunt for the way to do that in Word 2007. I don't know how long that will take.

Piroth, I like your idea of exporting the unknown segments because the segments to be translation are scattered all over the document. Sometimes on a page there will be one sentence hidden among a load of pre-translated segments. I don't know how I would clean the document though after I have "autotranslated".

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Macro May 26, 2009

Usually, the tw4winclean.main macro (name might be a bit different but it starts with tw and contains clean so it won't be hard to find) is the answer.... Except that you have Word 2007 and I have no idea if it's even there or works well. If push comes to shove, just give the file to somebody with Word 2003.

Ildiko Laskay  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
picture placeholders May 27, 2009

Just a note:
you can speed up work by displaying placeholders instead of pictures.
(Word: Tools/Options/View/Picture Placeholders)

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Picture Placeholders sound good but I can't find the equivalent in Word 2007 May 27, 2009

Thanks for the macro suggestion but Word 2007 is very different from Word 2003.

Ildiko, that sounds like a very helpful suggestion. Does anybody know the equivalent in Word 2007? (There isn't even a Tools menu in Word 2007!)

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Office 2007 May 27, 2009

Hi Serena,

The stumbling block of many of the proposed solutions seems to be Office 2007. It might be well worth familiarizing yourself with this version, as it will certainly save a lot of time in the long run. If you can pinpoint the specific problems, you are likely to find a solution by typing the appropriate keywords in google. For example, by typing "Tools menu" "Office 2007" you can quickly reach the page http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HA101326981033.aspx , where you can watch a video, which might put you on the right track.

For the security feature related to allowing macros, you can type "Tools menu" macros "Office 2007" to reach http://kb.iu.edu/data/agzk.html . Again, there might be much better explanations -- but this page may well be enough.

You can also post your questions in the Office Applications forum.

Good luck!
Attila

Edric Barbosa Filho
Local time: 22:25
English to Portuguese
Very simple to do it in Word 2007 May 27, 2009

Serena Warluzel wrote:

Thanks for the macro suggestion but Word 2007 is very different from Word 2003.

Ildiko, that sounds like a very helpful suggestion. Does anybody know the equivalent in Word 2007? (There isn't even a Tools menu in Word 2007!)

It's there in Word 2007: ribbon, tab View, Macros, Show Macros, scroll until you see tw4winClean.Main, select it, click Run button.

The document will be cleaned right away...

The memory is not updated, though.

Rgds

Edric

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the Word 2007 tips May 28, 2009

Stanislav, I totally agree that Tageditor is better for documents with images. Since I regularly translate excel, powerpoint and html documents I have got used to working in Tageditor all the time. What's more, it is very irritating switching between the two because the keyboard shortcuts vary such as (Alt +) in Tageditor and (Ctrl +) in word for close save/open get.

The interface in Word 2007 is very different and I don't know it half as well as Word 97-2003. I'll take up your suggestion Attila when I have a translation with a more relaxed deadline. I tried your Wordfast suggestion and it does work. I'll try Edric's suggestion too. Whichever I choose I will need to open/close all my segments in word, check format, and update the TM before cleaning.

Serena

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Yep May 28, 2009

Couldn't agree more...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't clean a 16 353 Ko Word file in Trados

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search