What do I do with the TM?
Thread poster: Chun Un

Chun Un  Identity Verified
Macau
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
May 30, 2009

A client has provided me with a Trados TM which is just a dot text (.txt) file. I don't know how I should open it in a SDL Trados Freelancer 2007. Did he forget to send me other files? Or is there a way to create a TM based on this .txt file? I need some enlightenment here. Please help.

Many thanks in advance.

kangjian  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 07:07
English to Chinese
import this txt to create a TM May 30, 2009

if the .txt is a valid exported format of Trados TM, then you could use it to create a new one. the step is : File > Import > ok > select the .txt

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:07
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Import it with TWB May 30, 2009

Hello Chun Un,

what you got is a TM export file. If you don't have any previous TM for that client, simply create a new TM and import the *.txt file into your TM. A txt file is much lighter than an original TM (5 files) and PMs normally send an export file.

Giuliana

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:07
English to German
+ ...
File - Import May 30, 2009

Hi Chun Un,
What you need to do is to import the text file provided.

On a general note, may I suggest to familiarise yourself with the software before using it - in particular, to at least skim the manuals provided.

Best regards,
Ralf

Macau
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks May 30, 2009

Giuliana, Ralf and kangjian

Thank you all very much for your kind help! I've now created a new TM and then imported the .txt file.

Ralf, I think your advice is very sound indeed- I will try to take some time and read the manual (tough as it is, given my tight schedule).

kangjian, since we work in the same language pair, the next question is for you. Somehow, after I opened the TM, the translated text (in simplified Chinese) was all messed up (乱码). When I created the new TM, I set the source and target languages as English (US) and Chinese (PRC) respectively. How can I solve this problem? Thank you!

Chun

[Edited at 2009-05-30 16:37 GMT]

kangjian  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 07:07
English to Chinese
charset issue Jun 9, 2009

Hi Chun,

sorry I didn't come for a long time, I guess you should solve it now. but I'd like to share my ideas:

please check the Encoding in EmEditor(or similiar tools) before your import it. Make sure the encoding is GB2312.

Hope it is helpful.

Macau
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jun 11, 2009

kangjian wrote:

Hi Chun,

sorry I didn't come for a long time, I guess you should solve it now. but I'd like to share my ideas:

please check the Encoding in EmEditor(or similiar tools) before your import it. Make sure the encoding is GB2312.

Hope it is helpful.

Hi kangjian

Thank you very much for getting back to me! I did solve the problem by using the (original) bilingual file which I had on my computer to create a TM. The characters were fine after that. But I will keep your advice in mind when something similar happens next time.

You've been very helpful indeed. Thank you again!

Chun

[Edited at 2009-06-11 02:18 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What do I do with the TM?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search