Studio creates duplicate TUs every time a confirmed segment is edited. Am I missing something?
Thread poster: Claudia Alvis

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 07:06
Spanish
+ ...
May 31, 2009

I just realized that every time I edit a segment that's already been confirmed (in the same project/file), Studio creates a second TU with the new version instead of overwriting it. I checked both duplicate TMs to see if any of the custom fields was different, but they all were identical because I had just added that translation unit.

In a recent thread (http://spedr.com/2f582), it is mentioned that importing a TM doesn't have an option for overwrite, merge, etc. I also noticed (http://spedr.com/3ldab) that if only the text field is different, there's no option to select not to create a new translation unit.

So if a segment is confirmed (added to the TM) and edited later, Studio creates a duplicate with the edited version. That seems to me like a huge oversight, am I missing something? Maybe there is an option but I can't find it.

Claudia

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 14:06
English to Czech
+ ...
Unfortunately, yes Jun 1, 2009

Hi Claudia,
yes, I've tried that and editing the target indeed creates duplicates in the TM. Annoying, disturbing etc. etc.

Will you post that on ideas.sdl.com, or shall I do so myself?

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Posted on ideas.sdl.com Jun 1, 2009

Hi Claudia,
I have posted this on ideas.sdl.com and added a reference to you as the author.

I hope this is okay.

Peru
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A bug? Jun 1, 2009

Thank you Stanislav but I think Edric is right and this is just a bug. It's weird because I restarted my computer without changing any of the project settings and now the TUs are edited without additional duplicates.

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
A bug? Jun 1, 2009

Hi Claudia,
if it's just a bug, it still needs to be removed. It's very confusing...

Peru
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Official version Jun 1, 2009

It probably will be removed before the official version is released. I'm not sure but it seems that the only way to submit a bug in the RC is using a support ticket. I wanted to report this one but I couldn't find a link or an email. Anyway, I'm sure SDL is aware of this (or will be) since you've submitted it, maybe other people have too. Besides, they read this forum too.

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Bug tracker Jun 1, 2009

There used to be a bug tracker for Beta 2, but I can't find it anymore... What a pity.

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Reply by Gareth Jun 2, 2009

Hi Claudia,
following my post on ideas.sdl.com, I just received a message from Gareth:

I have found that if you de-select the option to "Always add new translation to the translation memory" then these duplicates should be avoided. You can find this option under Project Settings > Language Pairs > All Language Pairs > Batch Processing > Translation Memory Updates.
Please let me know if this does not resolve the issue for you and we will look in to this further.

It would be nice of you could try that too, so there are two feedbacks for Gareth.

Kind regards,

Stanislav

Peru
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Done Jun 2, 2009

Thanks Stan. I'll keep that in mind. Although, I checked my settings and that box wasn't selected in the first place. Also, I haven't been able to reproduce the bug or whatever it was.

julienwp
France
English to French
Same bug in final version Jun 14, 2009

Hi all,

This bug is also in the final version. Here is the only solution I found so far:

After editing a translated segment, go back to this segment, in the TM results, you should see at least two 99% fuzzy matches (depending on the number of changes made to this segment). Right-click on the unwanted translation(s) and click on delete.

This is a waste of time. I hop SDL will make a hotfix available very soon.

Note this bug doesn't affect all the segments...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio creates duplicate TUs every time a confirmed segment is edited. Am I missing something?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search