Studio 2009 Concordance Search – Search Source from Target Window Possible?
Thread poster: Karel Tatransky

Karel Tatransky  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 13:17
Member (2007)
German to Czech
+ ...
Jun 1, 2009

Hello everyone!
I have a little problem with the new Studio. I was looking for a solution in the application's settings but could not find any option to change the default bahavior: everytime I activate the Concordance Search from the Target text window (I usually copy source to target), Trados searches in the target segments of the translation memory; however, I need it the other way (search the source segments of the memory and display corresponding translations).
Any idea how to change this?
Thank you very much in advance!

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Concordance Jun 1, 2009

Hi Karel,
I haven't tried that myself, but have you attempted to activate the Concordance Search from the source segment? That would seem logical.
In case that's not working, it would definitely be a good idea to post on ideas.sdl.com.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Try this... Jun 1, 2009

Hello Karel,

Users can use Ctrl+F3 to start a source language search, and Ctrl+Shift+F3 to start a target language search.

Also, simply pressing F3 will use the current cursor position (source or target) to do a search in the source or target language of the Translation Memory.

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

Czech Republic
Member (2007)
German to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jun 1, 2009

Thank you so much for your answer!
Karel

Czech Republic
Member (2007)
German to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This works Jun 1, 2009

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Hi Karel,
I haven't tried that myself, but have you attempted to activate the Concordance Search from the source segment? That would seem logical.
In case that's not working, it would definitely be a good idea to post on ideas.sdl.com.

Hi Stanislav,
concordance search in the source segments started in the source window works perfectly. My problem is that I very often copy source text into target window so I don't have to re-type words that are not to be translated (i.e. names of standards, companies etc.). In this case, I would select the text I in the target window and run the concordance search from there (which, unlike in the 2007 version, now searches in the target translations).

I haven't tried the shortcut Gareth suggested yet (I have no doubt it will work) but I definitely will once I give Studio 2009 another chance (I got too annoyed with it today and better chose to finish the job in the good old TagEditor).

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Sharing experience :D Jun 1, 2009

Hi Karel,
yep, got the same experience today. Simply couldn't save my progress. Very annoying. But it's still in RC1 stage, and given the development SDLS 09 has passed since Beta 2, I believe the final product will be improved.
It will probably take me some time to switch from my beloved TE over to SDLS 09, especially because I'm missing the horizontal layout (source and target segments below one another).
Luckily enough, there haven't been any problems switching over to MultiTerm 09. Very positive.

Czech Republic
Member (2007)
German to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Jun 1, 2009

I was translating a simple Word document with about 2000 words and SDLTS was extremely, painfully slow (almost reminded me of across and MemoQ. OK, not THAT badicon_smile.gif). Add the concordance problem and the duplicity in the TM when correcting already confirmed segments and you are back in TE before you know it.

But given the RC1 status, I still believe I will get used to it eventually. (And hopefully work as fast as with TE; what would be to point otherwise?)

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
My problem was with TTX... Jun 1, 2009

...which is XML in fact. Only plain text is simpler than that. :/
Regarding duplicate TUs, I have already posted that on ideas.sdl.com.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009 Concordance Search – Search Source from Target Window Possible?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search