Is there a way to open a document with a tag missing in Tag Editor?
Thread poster: Astrid Elke Witte

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:19
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Jun 2, 2009

The versions concerned are Workbench 8.0, TagEditor 8.0 and MS Word 2007.

The document in question closed of its own accord on the last TU, without my first having had the opportunity to "Save as target file" or clean it up. I cannot ascertain whether or not the TUs are in the translation memory. If I open a fresh copy of the document, it appears to need to be entirely retranslated from the beginning, i.e. no TUs show up as matches. However, I cannot believe that the TUs are not in the translation memory. They must be, if they were saved as I went from one TU to the next. I have now tried exporting the TUs with that project number, and, as 211 TUs exported, that must be most of them. Why would they be available for export, though, and not show up when I start to retranslate the document? It is really strange.

I either need to find a way to open the faulty document (which says something like that it cannot open because there was a "raw tag" at the end) or a way to get the TUs to be inserted as matches when I go through the document again, so that I do not have to retranslate the entire document - especially when 211 TUs (whether that may be all of them or not) are theoretically there.

Any advice on these rather strange technical circumstances would be appreciated.

Astrid

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
Try a different CAT tool? Jun 2, 2009

In my experience I have seen that Swordfish is able to handle TTX files which misbehave in TagEditor.

If you are able to export your TM as TMX, then there is a way out.

Download and install a trial version of Swordfish, create an internal TM and import your TMX into it, create a XLIFF file from the TTX file and retranslate the document.

I know it takes finding out/learning how another CAT tool works in a very short time, but if all else fails...

If all you need is the final translated file, without the TTX, why not try translating it in Swordfish from scratch, using the TMX from Workbench.

Regards

Piotr

[Edited at 2009-06-02 18:04 GMT]

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you - I will look into Swordfish Jun 2, 2009

Many thanks for the tip, Piotr. It did not occur to me to use a different CAT tool. I solved the problem this afternoon eventually - or rather, it solved itself. Eventually I was able to retranslate it in Word instead of TagEditor, and the TUs surfaced again after all. However, the first time I tried that it did not work. A bit later it did work, the matches appeared, and I went through it slowly, doing the proofreading as I went. I had meanwhile closed down the software and opened it up again.

I still do not know what happened there. I exported the TUs and it said "211 TUs exported". I imported them into a new TM in Workbench and went into "Maintenance" to view them. I put the figure "99" in the box at the top. No TUs appeared for me to look at. Instead, a message came up on the screen saying something like, "There are no TUs available." I went into "Properties" again and it stated that the TM contained 211 TUs.

I guess it might come in handy to become acquainted with one or two other CAT tools. I will bear that in mind.

Best regards,

Astrid

[Edited at 2009-06-02 17:57 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a way to open a document with a tag missing in Tag Editor?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search