Extracting repetitive terms using Multiterm Extract
Thread poster: Trinh Do

Trinh Do  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2007)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Jun 2, 2009

Somebody told me I can extract such terms from all the files used for the project. I have never heard of this, and although I have received training, my instructor only restricted me to excel (some lousy instructor!). He never mentioned using multiple files for one data base and did not show me on how to extract the terms using Multiterm Extract.

Could someone out there show me the technical steps or at least a website where this can be referred to?

Thank you in advance.

Trinh.

Direct link Reply with quote

S_Angel  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 15:49
German to Italian
+ ...
Tutorials and manuals Jun 2, 2009

If you have MultiTerm installed on your computer, you have both a tutorial and a manual for MultiTerm Extract. To use it, though, you need a separate license.

The general idea is that it analyses the content of the bilingual files you import (for example a TM, or aligned files) and it automatically extracts couples of terms in the two languages. Of course these are just "guesses" or proposals and you need to check and edit them manually. It is quite a long process, but it lets you save a lot of time if you need to extract a lot of terminology.

[Modificato alle 2009-06-02 15:35 GMT]

[Modificato alle 2009-06-02 15:36 GMT]

Trinh Do  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2007)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I've found the way Jun 2, 2009

Dear Sara,

Thank you. I worked it out and found it to be very useful. This is marvellous. You can also give a multitude of synonyms as well now.

Life is good with computers.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Extracting repetitive terms using Multiterm Extract

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search