Does Trados 2007 Ignore Hidden Text in Excel When Analyzing?
Thread poster: Owen Davies

Owen Davies
Japan
Local time: 21:07
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Jun 2, 2009

Hi All,
A quick question regarding analyzing an Excel file using Trados 2007.
Basically, it's a monster of a file and there are a lot of hidden rows and columns that the client doesn't want translated.
Now, I think that Trados ignores these hidden rows and columns by default, but if anyone has a definite answer that would be much appreciated!
If it Doesn't ignore them by default, is it possible to make Trados ignore the hidden text...?
Many thanks in advance.
Owen

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:07
English
Try this... Jun 2, 2009

Hi Owen,

Translators Workbench can be configured to import content from hidden rows and columns so they will be included in the analysis. This is done via the Filter Settings. Please follow these instructions:

1. Go to Start > All Programs > SDL International > SDL Trados 2007 > Trados > Filters > Filter Settings
2. Select your version of Excel from the left-hand navigation pane
3. Under Content and Macro Processing, please see the option "Translate content from hidden rows and columns". If you wish to import the hidden content then please select this option and vice/versa.
4. Select "Save" to save all changes and then "Exit"

Please restart TagEditor and/or Translators Workbench for the changes to take effect. You will then need to re-analyse the file for the hidden content to be taken in to account.

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

[Edited at 2009-06-02 13:40 GMT]

Owen Davies
Japan
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re: Does Trados Ignore Hidden Text Jun 2, 2009

Hi Gareth,
Thanks very much for the instructions.
Just to clarify:
1. When running a normal analysis of an Excel file, hidden columns/rows are ignored.
2. If I want to include the hidden text, I follow your instructions below.

Does that sound correct? Basically I want to make sure that I am not translating any of the hidden text in this massive file.
Thanks for your help and patience!
All the best,
Owen

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
SDL Trados Support... Jun 2, 2009

Hi Owen,

Yes, they should be ignored by default and will not be included in your analysis.

If you wish to include hidden rows and columns in your analysis then you will need to make sure that the "Translate content from hidden rows and columns" option is on.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

Owen Davies
Japan
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks very much! Jun 2, 2009

Cheers Gareth!
Much appreciated.
All the best,
Owen

Jenny Duthie  Identity Verified
France
French to English
A query for Gareth - a popup error message appears when I try to select this filter setting Jun 3, 2009

Hello Gareth, I have just tried to do this, I also have Trados 2007, and Trados Filter Settings pops up saying "An unmanaged exception has appeared in your application. If you click on Continue, the application will ignore this error and try to continue. If you click on Quit, the application will stop immediately." and underneath this message, it says
"The value is too large or too small for an Int32:"

I have never seen this message before, any ideas as to what is causing this problem? I clicked Continue but it just says restart Trados, which I have already done, and the Filter Settings have not changed. I tried to change the filter settings for Excel 2003.

Thanks in advance!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does Trados 2007 Ignore Hidden Text in Excel When Analyzing?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search