Creating new termbase in Multiterm
Thread poster: Alison Curran

Alison Curran  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:57
French to English
+ ...
Jun 2, 2009

I have just started to use Multiterm and want to create an entirely new termbase, inputing terms from a paper document. I have created a new termbase and selected it as the default but when I then go to the Entry menu and click Add I get a warning sign saying 'null'. Please can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Sorry for asking what I am sure is a basic question - very many thanks for any help you can give.

FarkasAndras
Local time: 19:57
English to Hungarian
+ ...
error message... Jun 2, 2009

Alison Curran wrote:

I have just started to use Multiterm and want to create an entirely new termbase, inputing terms from a paper document. I have created a new termbase and selected it as the default but when I then go to the Entry menu and click Add I get a warning sign saying 'null'. Please can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Sorry for asking what I am sure is a basic question - very many thanks for any help you can give.

You're not doing anything wrong. The culprit is probably the mess that is MultiTerm java compatibility. Maybe it's SDL's fault, maybe it's Sun's fault, but we are suffering as a result, that's for sure.
Search the forums here to find out which java versions are supported and what you need to do, or just wait for more knowledgeable members to chime in.

Maria Amorim  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to Portuguese
+ ...
Same problem as Alison Jun 3, 2009

I am dealing just now with the same situation. I have checked the most recent SDL Trados forums but I couldn´t get any helpful information as far. I am using Trados with Microsoft Office 2007 . I hope someone can help us. Thanks in advance!

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
Not directly in Multiterm interface Jun 3, 2009

But most likely you will be able to enter terms through the SDL Edit interface or TagEditor interface, after you press the right keyboard shortcuts (different in each application). And you will be able to check in Multiterm that the terms were actually added.

BUt if you have a scanner and your printout is in tabular format, maybe it is better to scan and import. It's going to work even if you get the 'null' error. I'm getting this error, too.

HTH

Piotr

Maria Amorim  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to Portuguese
+ ...
Finally, the solution! Jun 4, 2009

Thank you Piotr for your alternative!

The solution for the "null" problem ( Java compatibility) is on the SDL Trados page http://talisma.sdl.com/display/ . Here it is:

"If you have JAVA 6 Update 10 and/or Update 11 version installed, you need to disable the "Enable the next-generation Java plug-in" feature.

To fix this problem:
1. Click Start and then select Control Panel from the menu. The Control Panel is displayed.
2. Double-click on Java. The Java Control Panel is displayed.
3. Click on the Advanced tab.
4. Clear the Enable the next-generation Java plug-in check box.
5. Click OK to save your changes and close the Java Control Panel.
6. Reboot your PC.

The error messages should not appear anymore and you are able to work with your termbase again without problems. "

I have already tested this in my laptop (Microsoft Office 2007) and it worked. I hope this information can be useful for other colleagues.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Creating new termbase in Multiterm

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search